Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 301: Spool thread wrapping around bobbin case/shuttle >

Singer 301: Spool thread wrapping around bobbin case/shuttle

Singer 301: Spool thread wrapping around bobbin case/shuttle

Old 09-10-2013, 09:32 AM

Yup, sorry, but part of your hook assembly is broken. The part that goes in the notch and stabilizes the assembly is broke off. You will need to get that part replaced. As-is your machine will not work. You can try April 30's shop via the net and send her the photo and see if she'll sell you just that one part. You will have to either try to do it yourself or take it in for service.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 AM

I am not sure what is wrong, but do you have a Singer needle in the machine? Maybe it doesn't like other brands. Could it be slightly bent? Is it inserted all the way up? Yours is a slant needle machine, so does it take a special needle? Also when you put in the bobbin, the thread has to come off a certain way, clockwise, counter clockwise, not sure which as I haven't used a machine with an bobbin case in a long, long time. But I remember that it also has to click or set as it is inserted. Run your finger around the bobbin casing (the part that is in the picture) to see if there is a burr that might be catching the thread. Also check the throat plate for burrs. Change threads to see if that is the problem. I think the hook should be near the needle when the needle goes down so that it can catch the thread and make the stitch. Try to google a manual for your machine, or look at other manuals to see what they say, as the machine stitch is basically the same. I would not adjust anything from another manual as yours is a slant needle machine, but you might get some idea as to the problem and solution. Worth a try anyway. Good luck.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:48 AM

Like Candace said, you have a broken part so it isn't going to work until you get that replaced.

here is what it should look like.

And with the bobbin case in place.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:05 AM

Oh nooooo.... that little piece is broken! Also - I tried to adjust the timing (following instructions) and the shaft won't 'disengage' from the gear even when the screws are completely removed, so it would seem that something is seized in there! So sad. Will have to take her to a professional at this point (and get some money back from the seller who advertised the machine as 'working well'. It's a shame how many sellers have to be educated on the meaning of phrases like that. It's like selling a car and saying it's working well because the engine turns over, but - oops - the transmission is toast. Obviously the car is not 'working well'!!! Arrrggghhh!)

Thanks all for your help!
Old 09-10-2013, 10:07 AM

And Macy- thank you SO MUCH for the pictures of what it should look like!!!!
Old 09-11-2013, 07:33 AM

Send me your email address and I will send you a close-up photo of my 301. I have never posted photos to the QB and don't have time to try. I agree you are missing the "finger".
Old 09-11-2013, 11:07 AM

The other thing is - if you try to turn everything when the bobbin case is out, it will always catch on that shaft.
It's in the way after all. The bobbin case will let it go up and over.

If your timing is out, it's relatively easy to set, once you get the parts to let go.
http://thefeatherweight221factory.com/page34.php
This link should take you to the adjusters manual for the 221, which uses the same hook.

The slant machines use the same 15x1 needle as any other low shank machine. The 301 and 221 both are completely fine with non-Singer needles, in fact, I don't recommend Singer needles anymore, they're poorly made like most of their current products. I use Schmetz in my 221, 222 and 301s, as well as all of my other machines. Organ is another good brand, they're what Superior sells.

As for the part you're missing, I would contact Glenn Williams as well. I find his pricing is much more reasonable than April1930s. I think the part number is 45926, and it's listed as no longer available from my supplier, but both Glenn and April will likely have one from a machine they've parted. It will look like this: http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bob...g-machine.aspx Be aware, it's not a cheap part, so make sure you know what it's going to cost before you talk to the seller. My price sheet said it was over $40 wholesale before it was discontinued.

You can install the part yourself with the instructions in the owner's manual, or in the Adjuster's manual or this link: http://thefeatherweight221factory.co...MachineJam.php

Unfortunately "working" often means "the stabby thing goes up and down when I push the foot thingie and the light turns on."

Glenn Williams can be reached here: http://pages.suddenlink.net/joyof301s/glenn.htm I've dealt with him, and was very happy with the service.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by fluffygirl View Post
It looks as if the position finger of the hook assembly that Candace mentioned is broken off. If you have your manual, you can check the part about replacing the bobbin case and it should show that area clearly. That little piece holds everything where it should be to work properly.

NC Pat
I was also questioning if there was a broken piece there but will have to go downstairs and look at mine. Is the needle a 15x1 needle or the equivalent? And do you have it all the way up into the shaft as far as it will go? It is not usually a timing issue with these machines, maybe only 5 percent of all machines have timing issues. Try a different needle.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:27 AM

Thanks so much everyone! Unfortunately, the piece was most definitely broken. On a positive side though, when I took it to a local sew & vac, they saw it immediately and popped out the piece in two seconds. They're sourcing the replacement now (I'm just not in the mood for the runaround, nor to risk breaking something else while trying to fix it!). The piece itself is going to be $25 which I find reasonable. The timing is also VERY off (something I was able to see myself - the hook was a good inch from the needle when the needle was at it's lowest point!) so they're going to go ahead and adjust that and just give her a basic tune-up while they're at it. [FYI: The spool thread was tangling around the hook/shuttle WITH the bobbin case inserted. I took it out just to see what would happen...]

As far as the 'running good' in the listing - I agree that many people will say this if the motor runs and the needle moves, and I would certainly normally take it with a grain of salt, but this was a SEW & VAC company!!! Unbelievable. I'm not worried though as the ebay buyer protection is very clear and strict on these things. The repair shop is going to attest, on the receipt, that the machine was NOT running. It should have been listed as: "as is, for repair or parts" (according to ebay's own policies), so I have no doubt I'll be refunded the cost of the repairs.

And I can't WAIT to have her back - probably next week - to begin sewing with her!

Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by DBaila View Post
this was a SEW & VAC company!!!
If it weren't against the rules here, I'd ask who the seller is so I could avoid them in the future.

I'm really surprised that with the timing that far off that it wasn't breaking needles.

Your local shop is doing a good thing for you. Usually the price of used is about half of new, and half of double or more of wholesale is way more than they're charging you.