Old 09-12-2013, 02:37 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Do you have the needle in the right direction? Are you threading the right direction? Are there any burrs on the needle plate or the hook?
She definitely has a huge burr in the form of the locating finger on the hook base being broken off.

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
The hook assembly is the same. The bobbin case base isn't. The finger on the 301's base is shaped slighly different than on the 221. The 221 base will fit in the hook of the 301, but when sewing fast the finger will slip out of the space it sits in between the two springs on the underside of the feed dog plate. I have dealt with this exact problem when I serviced a 301 that had had the babbinn case base replaced by one from a 221.
I just disassembled the 301 - the part number on the Hook base is 170166. You are correct! (Not that I doubted you. )

I did know that the piece with the 2 springs on it was different, as well as the throat plate (because it has screw holes for the springs in a different spot) but I didn't realise the finger was different too, but looking at them side by side, yes, they are a little different.

I wonder how many other parts are listed wrong on all of these sites then I wonder if the "replacement" was the 301 version and the longer finger is "OK" on the featherweight? I just don't know if I feel like disassembling both to find out...