Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storing your stash >

Storing your stash

Storing your stash

Old 01-11-2014, 08:21 AM

Default Storing your stash

So... I finally organized my office and I'm now ready to start quilting. I have a nice stash started from a few years back of samples I ordered from fabric.com. They are starting to pile up though, so I need to start thinking about storage ideas.

I was thinking of buying some pretty paper boxes to put them in, but then thought that having them visible might be a source of inspiration?

Anyone have/seen any great ideas on how to store your stash? I have a large wall where I could hang shelving, as one option. Sort of like the idea of containers better though, as they'll get dusty on a shelf, even if in bins.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2014, 08:28 AM

Others will disagree but I like plastic bins where I can see fabric. Some fabric just sits on shelving and in stacks, it just gets dusty and needs a good shaking out before I use it. I generally wash fabric before adding it to stash.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:29 AM

I use colorless plastic bins. Putting the bins on shelving would be a good idea.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

If you have room for filing cabinets, check out dilyn's picture post under "I quilted my drawers"
Old 01-11-2014, 08:48 AM

I love cube storage. Keeps everything neat, you can see what you have, and as a bonus, there is a usable surface on the top!

The white units are from Target - I think. The darker ones are a cutting/storage table built from Ikea Expedit book cases. Those empty cubbies are all full now...
Attached Thumbnails fabric.jpg   expedit.jpg  
Old 01-11-2014, 08:54 AM

I'm a bin person. We have a wood stove, so the dust is plentiful! (My curtains are atrocious when I wash them in the spring!) I only have a small closet for storage, so stacking is essential. Not the easiest setup for browsing, but we do what we must.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
I love cube storage. Keeps everything neat, you can see what you have, and as a bonus, there is a usable surface on the top!

The white units are from Target - I think. The darker ones are a cutting/storage table built from Ikea Expedit book cases. Those empty cubbies are all full now...

Expedits! I love them and have them all over but never thought of this use for them. Expedits are the best-selling bookcases in the world. Now definitely a trip (hour and a half each way to Chicago suburb) to get more expedits! Thanks for the great idea!
Old 01-11-2014, 09:46 AM

I store my fabric in clear plastic bins. They are not sorted for color yet as I tend to buy coordinating colors together. Lately though I have just been buying fabric that catches my eye and it would be good to sort those by theme or color. Have fun with your new quilt room!!!!!
Old 01-11-2014, 12:28 PM

I store mine in plastic tubs, but I only have 2 as I don't have a large stash as others do. One of my tubs is see through the other is not
Old 01-11-2014, 01:17 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

My fabrics are stored on shelves behind doors in a large armoire in my sewing space.