Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need Ideas for Dad's 60 Birthday >

Need Ideas for Dad's 60 Birthday

Need Ideas for Dad's 60 Birthday

Old 01-15-2014, 08:57 AM

How about having 60 of his friends and family each write a message on a quilt block and you can have it in permanent ink then make a quilt with those messages especially for him. Ask first then send or give the blocks, so they will all be the same size.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:01 AM

Oooh.. You guys have given me some great ideas. Keep them coming!
Old 01-16-2014, 11:46 AM

My dh and I are both 60. Are we supposed to feel OLD??? Okay, sometimes I do.

I would make it a large throw or twin-sized quilt, for sofa naps. I say this because my dh is constantly falling asleep on the sofa. If he's uncomfortable about his age, I would not make a big deal of the number 60. Instead, try to help him see it as just a celebration of him (rather than his age).
Old 01-21-2014, 12:52 AM

There was a post here by a lady who was celebrating an '0' birthday. Her husband gave here a small gift each day beginning lets say 60 days before the special culminating in a large gift on the day. She had a picture showing all the gifts.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:50 AM

I agree...60 is not old...that is when life begins....I have 10 years to go ; )
Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I agree whole heartedly. I'll never see 60 again or ever 65 .

I know enough people over 95 that 90's not even old.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:57 AM

What type of hobbies does you dad like? My dad loves computers so this year at age 83 I bought him an apple laptop. First one he has ever had and he is having so much fun learning something new. Does your dad have an interest...something he could enjoy each day. Learning something new is also very good for the mind and keeps it active. Do you have siblings that could pitch in for something he would love but may not be able to afford?
Old 01-21-2014, 04:36 AM

http://www.crabapplehillstudio.com/vintage-tin.html

i am making this special one for my dad he is turning 70 next month , I hope to have it done by fathers day . I am changing some of the embroidery blocks to make it more personal .
Old 01-24-2014, 08:33 AM

For my children's wonderful dad we divided out the number sixty between the number of children and myself and each wrote that number of qualities and examples with dad doing this. We each read them to him at b-day celebration. There a many variations of this one can do. A jar filled with divided out number saying 'thank you' for something. You know, things he may have forgotten like, "Thanks, Dad for not falling for my tears when you were drilling me in my multiplication tables and I felt you were being to hard. Thank you for teaching me with that to use my brain, give it my all, and not rely on drama or manipulation to get out of an unpleasant task with unpleasant people." Sixty days in the jar to hear thank you, Dad or thank you, Friend or thank you, Honey. Then of course, you could always pop out of a cake for his present (Oh, and how I got on hubby's case for making her cry and he was discouraging her from liking math!)
Old 01-24-2014, 08:47 AM

LOL! That's a great idea, yobro.

His hobbies are fishing and farming. He likes to be outside, boating, gardening, etc. He likes to "hunt", but usually his hunting consists of him just sitting in the woods reflecting on God's beauty.