Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Enlarging Ohmygosh Quilt Block >

Enlarging Ohmygosh Quilt Block

Enlarging Ohmygosh Quilt Block

Old 01-14-2014, 02:02 AM

Default Enlarging Ohmygosh Quilt Block

Recently, someone posted a question on how to enlarge the Ohmygosh quilt block so there weren't so many little pieces. I found this link on how someone who was able to do it, here:

http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...upersized.html

I am actually thinking about making this quilt myself, now that I know I can do it larger.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the link....Good info...
Old 01-15-2014, 08:06 AM

She has lots of things to look at on her site, thanks for sharing.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:48 AM

I just started making my omigosh quilt (the original small one), I have four blocks done, it is very time consuming but very satisfying. I think if I finish it, I can truly call myself a quilter. LOL I am planning on making one or two blocks a week in between other projects, so it will probably take me a couple of years. The cutting is what really takes a lot of time.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:56 AM

Thanks for sharing this link. (enlarging pattern).
Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by feffertim View Post
I just started making my omigosh quilt (the original small one), I have four blocks done, it is very time consuming but very satisfying. I think if I finish it, I can truly call myself a quilter. LOL I am planning on making one or two blocks a week in between other projects, so it will probably take me a couple of years. The cutting is what really takes a lot of time.
Oh, please post pictures as you go. Did you use a color theme, or scrappy? Is there any way you can stack enough fabric for 2 blocks, and rotary cut them to save time?

Good luck!!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend View Post
Oh, please post pictures as you go. Did you use a color theme, or scrappy? Is there any way you can stack enough fabric for 2 blocks, and rotary cut them to save time?

Good luck!!
I decided to go scrappy, I figured it was hard enough to make without having to keep track of a color sceme also. I suppose you could stack fabric for some of the cutting but you would have to be really careful not to let the fabric slip because the pieces are so small that you have to be very precise. I made a test block before I started and then decided I should make the pieces 1/8" larger and then trim to size when it was done as it was hard for me to get all those little pieces so perfect as my test block was off a little. That has worked for me. I have not had much luck posting pictures but will give it another try. Thanks for your interest. I saw a post where someone said they made one with a white background and then a black background. That sounds interesting but I'm not sure if I will be up for making two, I probably won't live that long. LOL. It is the design that emerges that makes the quilt not really the colors anyway
Old 01-15-2014, 09:29 PM

I don't know if this will help or not, but here's something I found to enlarge a pattern: http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQu...tingseven.html
Old 01-16-2014, 12:58 PM

I had a gazillion 1.5" strips of florals left over from a log cabin. I decided to make the Omigosh using them so I enlarged my squares to 9.5". Got it back from the LAQ yesterday - I made it scrappy and it's king size. Now to bind it. It was fun and rewarding to use up my scraps and get a beautiful quilt.