Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Ohmygosh! I am stunned!

Somewhere near the water in beautiful Michigan
    For purposes of this thread, it is helpful to know that I bake wedding cakes for other people as a sideline (after working in a law office all day), and have been doing this for almost 40 years.

So today, we were at my daughter's housewarming party, and my father asked me if I had ever taken a wedding cake to the Golden Glow Ballroom. It's been around since the early part of the last century (like the early 1920's or even earlier), and was a staple here in this area. For years it was a dance club, and was a skating rink (roller), then eventually had another incarnation as a reception hall.

I told him that I have to take a wedding cake there next Saturday and he told me, "no you don't, 'cause it burned to the ground last night."

Well, you could have scraped my tongue off the floor! I've been to many a wedding reception there. Many years ago it was a concert hall, too, and people like Ike & Tina Turner, Wayne Newton, etc. performed there. I am truly stunned.

I've called the Bride and of course it's Sunday, so she can't get too many new vendors on the phone yet. But I am hopeful that by Tuesday they will have a new location and all will be well.

The amazing thing in all of this? They had originally selected yesterday as their wedding date, but this hall was already booked. So I guess they're already blessed.

Blog Entries
    How horrible to lose a historical building as well as all of the functions that were to be held there having to be cancelled :( :( :(

Oh my how terrible.

Banned
    oh my. how sad.

Oh my, sounds like a mad scramble this week. It will work out, but I am sure there will be some frantic calls!

OMG, that is awful. Hope it all works out.

Odessaquilts, this is awful. It's worse than when they cut a forest down...you can grow more trees, but this building was history, and held many, many memories. so sorry! glad that the bride has time to hurriedly change things around.

Oh, that's so sad to lose such a treasure to your town!!! I feel for the bride. I worked with a bride that went to the hall for her wedding....but all guests were standing outside, couldn't get in!!! Seems the manager/owner of the hall decided to leave town with all the money the night before!!!! It was so sad....

That's so sad to lose a historical building like that, but that young couple is so lucky. They have someone watching over them.

Had a phone message today from my Bride; they have settled on the Bay City Country Club for their wedding. It's about 40 minutes closer for me and another beautiful location, so I'm happy and I think it will be terrific.

I'll try to post photos afterward.

Odessa

So happy to hear that they've found a place. Thanks for letting us know that it is working out.

Having just helped with my neice' wedding last Saturday this really caught my eye. It's jittery enough for the bride without losing the reception venue, I'd bet she cried buckets of tears last Sunday. So glad she found another location. The only crisis we had for Sarah's wedding is the cake topper slid off the cake about 20 minutes prior to the cake cutting. Heat and humidity will take a toll but the Aunts jumped and it was fashioned back together so the pictures of the cake cutting went exceptionally well. No one remembered to turn the AC on until we'd been in the building about an hour, with over 100 people it got a 'little' warm.

Hugs,
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    Oh my...such a shame about the historical building. It a wonder that cities and towns across the country still have any left due to storms, fires, etc. Its really sad to loose one.

I'm glad to hear the bride found another venue...it will work out for the best for them I'm sure.

Hello one and all,

Well, it was a stunning day and night for my happy couple, who I am hoping are honeymooning as I type this. I was not as happy as I could have been about their cake, but let me tell you all what happened:

I got the cakes loaded into my van, and was on the road about 15 minutes after I had planned to be (which, for me, is making very good time!), and was driving carefully as I always do with a cake. There were five 9" hexagons in a circle on a large plexiglass board, a 6" and 9" hexagon, then a 12" hex stacked on a 15" hex. Also the groom's cake in its own box.

At the first mile, I turned around to check on things, and all was well. At the second mile, I was stopped at a red light and turned around to .... ohhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyy Gaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwddddddd! :shock: :shock: :shock: The largest cake was crumbling underneath -- three of the corners had completely dropped off! I pulled into a parking lot and took the 12" off of it, moving it to the safety of the floor (safely on the padding I use for traveling), and got back behind the wheel.

By the time I arrived at the Country Club, I had a plan in mind: I would just skip that tier and pre-cut what was still okay (just toss the corners that had falled off). The decorations I needed to put on it would hide any problem areas, and so I proceeded. Of course, the CC had a baby shower going on, they didn't have the table ready for the wedding cake (and even one girl didn't know there was a wedding cake coming for the wedding that afternoon -- well, duh!!!! :roll: ), and I got shoved into a room jammed with tables just waiting to be rolled into the room when the shower was done.

But I accomplished what the Bride and Groom really wanted (or so they said), and everything went swimmingly when I arrived to cut the cake later.

The local paper had done a nice story about them and their plight after the ballroom had burned down the week before, and they had a slot machine set up for their guests to play with (the Groom's hobby is going to Vegas to play). There was a sign (actually two) that indicated all the proceeds would help pay for the honeymoon, but the pictures on the sign showed the burned down hall! When the Happy Couple saw that, they really had a good laugh. :D

They also told me that they went to the burned out location and had some of their photos taken there. I'm so glad that they were able to turn a sad situation into a positive. Gives me hope that they will be very happy for a long time.

And despite the problems I had with their cake, it came together okay ... no my BEST work by any means, but as long as the Client is happy, I am happy. So, as promised, here are the photos of the wedding cake and the groom's cake:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work Odessa. Great story by the way! Iv'e decorated wedding cakes for a living around 30 yrs. now and I could probably write a book about some of the things that can happen to the best laid plans. Is that fondant on the hexs? I just saw a black and white wedding cake this weekend. Must be a trend now.

No, not fondant. Honestly, I can't cover a cake in fondant to save my life. I just need to practice, I'm sure, but really have no desire. The hex is my least favorite shape to work with; difficult to get each side straight and even when iced, can look pretty bad, but it is what the Client wanted. As I said, this was not my best work, but when the Bride & Groom are happy, that's really all that matters, isn't it?

Anyway, I'm glad they liked it. Actually, I really preferred the groom's cake. The plaque of the sign was rolled fondant but everything else was freehanded on it. That part of the project was pure joy. Thanks for the kind words.

Blog Entries
    Oh wow...what a heart attack that ride would have been for me! You saved it beautifully though! So glad it all worked out....but then it usually does :lol:

Blog Entries
    Wow!!! Beautiful cakes.

Those are wonderful cakes. I love a happy ending.

OMGsh -- that cake does look like fondant. I do cakes, also (I'm learning that many of us quilters also do cakes.) Where were the breaks? It's not obvious at all. Your decorating is beautiful. How did you get the buttercream so smooth? Also how did you support the three-tiered cake over the hexes?

Tell me more -- what kind of cake was it and what were the fillings?

Nice job. I'm sure most were none the wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    OMGsh -- that cake does look like fondant. I do cakes, also (I'm learning that many of us quilters also do cakes.) Where were the breaks? It's not obvious at all. Your decorating is beautiful. How did you get the buttercream so smooth? Also how did you support the three-tiered cake over the hexes?

Tell me more -- what kind of cake was it and what were the fillings?
    Thanks for your kind comments. The three tiers on the top of the 5-tier base should have had one more, larger tier under them. Three of the corners of that cake just crumbled completely off in my car ... I have NEVER had that happen in 39 years of baking! So I just pre-cut the useable portion of that tier, wrapped them in napkins (yes, this is a pretty retro-type thing to do, but makes it easy for guests to snag a piece on their way out the door for home), and put them in a cake box to sit out after the rest of the cake had been cut.

If you look at the bottom tier of the top three, you can see the front corner on the left appears to be more of a slight diagonal than a straight verticle line. That's the most obvious spot (at least to me). That tier also had issues, but not quite so bad as the larger one.

As for any other problems, the beauty of the decorating style the Bride & Groom selected is that I could make the ganache branches as craggy and crooked as I wanted, which allowed me to cover a TON of cracked icing spots, areas where a thumb or finger may have dented the icing, or whatever imperfections I could find. The "swirling leaves" also helped here, too.

Everything was supported with plenty of bamboo skewers cut to size. I use them because they are thin, very lightweight, but incredibly strong and I can generally cut them very straight with a pair of pruning shears I use only for that purpose. I also will use skewers without the points cut off to push through tiers to keep the entire thing from shifting if anyone should happen to bump the table.

As for the flavors, are you ready? There was:

Spice
    Carrot with Cream Cheese filling
    Fudge Chocolate Chunk with Chocolate Mousse filling
    Fudge Chocolate Chunk with Strawberry filling
    Fudge Chocolate Chunk with Raspberry filling
    White Chocolate Lemon with Raspberry filling
    While Almond Sour Cream with Blueberry filling

I think they were very happy. And I am glad that so many people have made me feel better about my own personal disaster with this cake. Makes me realize that when I decided to do this as a sideline, it was the right way to go, for me anyway.

OMGsh. I have had disasters, but none to compare. I would have been a basket case. While delivering one, we had to stop and put two of the tiers in my lap for more stability. It was a terrible road and the bump-bumping was causing the icing to crack. I was so afraid that the cake, too, would crack that I held it in my lap. Another accident I had was I dropped a sixteen inch round as I was preparing to tart it. It was the afternoon of the wedding. I had to do some quick baking, etc.

Your branches are wonderful. And the flavors sound delicious!