Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: This stunned me a bit

Took my packages to the post office, clerk asked the usual questions....fragile, perishable, hazardous....I said no, I am a quilter and they were quilt blocks being sent out for a block swap. Lady behind me asked if they hand or machine quilted. I replied, machine. She said, "Well, that really ISN'T quilting."

Let me clarify, she asked if I machine or hand quilted my pieces....

Again, I definately know there is a skill in hand quilting. I truly admire anyone who can do it....I just haven't reached that level yet.

She definitely knows NOTHING about quilts or quilting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    Took my packages to the post office, clerk asked the usual questions....fragile, perishable, hazardous....I said no, I am a quilter and they were quilt blocks being sent out for a block swap. Lady behind me asked if they hand or machine quilted. I replied, machine. She said, "Well, that really ISN'T quilting."

Let me clarify, she asked if I machine or hand quilted my pieces....
    Did you ask her if it isn't quilting, what is it??? Curious minds...
    Rose Hall

I have learned that there are tacky, rude people every where you go. And this one showed her true colors--and her ignorance!!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In her opinion machine quilting isn't quilting. OK. I have an opinion on what she IS for saying something like that. :evil:

I'm willing to bet she doesn't appreciate my opinion any more than I appreciate her opinon!

Some people may feel that way, :roll: But quilting is quilting you are doing the same thing only in a different way. To each his or her own. :!: :thumbup: I prefer Machine, I would love to do 2 done by hand quilts,Actually Machine quilts are done by hand. SOOO I am going to rephrase my comment.
    I would love to do 2 quilts without the aid of a sewing machine for my 2 daughters. TWO is all I want to do. Sewing by hand takes to long for me. :wink: :thumbup:
    The lady as stated befor didn't know what she was talking about. My opinion :!:

Sounds like another quiltzilla strikes again. She needs to remember the old adage "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Wouldn't it be nice sometimes to have a stamp marked "STOOPID" that you could smack people on the head with?

Ditter

Quote Originally Posted by quilterjody
    Sounds like another quiltzilla strikes again. She needs to remember the old adage "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."
    Ditto that.

If they were just the blocks for a block swap you could have come back... "They aren't quilted yet just pieced." That would have shut her up as well as let her know she didn't know what she was talking about. Quilting is the process of combining the layers of top, back and batting and it is really quilting whether done by machine, by hand, tied, tacked whatever. The part of the process where we make the blocks is called piecing.

Ask her if she rides a horse to work. There used to be a pony express for mail too.

She is welcomed to her opinion but she doesn't need to force it on everyone else. They are both quilting to me.

You're better than me...LOL. I would have been inclined to ask her how many quilts has she made and did she hand quilt them?.....but then....I would have sunk to her level I guess.....definitely would not have wanted to do that.

Blog Entries
    How dare she force her opinion on you?? That's just plain rude, crude, and socially unacceptable!! To try to make you feel bad about something you've made is seriously wrong, and the woman has mental issues with her own feelings of security!

I'm sorry you ran into such a rude woman, but don't let her words hurt your feelings.

I've heard of some hand quilters that look down their noses at machine quilters, but I think they are few and far between. There are also a few that critisize longarm quilters as not being real quilters. Everyone has their opinion I guess.

Fortunately, you are a member of this group where we celebrate all quilts and the members that make them.

I really admire quilters that quilt by hand because I appreciate the time and practice necessary to perfect their stitching, and the patience to work on a quilt for months or years.

Some of us are unable (medical reasons) to do a lot of handwork, or just can't devote the time to do hand quilting so we use our machines. The goal is to create a beautiful quilt and whatever means you use...it is still quilting.

Like someone mentioned........ they were blocks only and not yet put into a quilt... If she knew anything about quilting she whould have knowen that they would not have been quilted at this point........... Dahhhhhhh where is that stamp marked stoopid?????

She is an ignoramus. If they were quilt blocks, they would be pieced but not yet quilted.

Which begs the question: Are stupid people too stupid to know that they are stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie
    She is an ignoramus. If they were quilt blocks, they would be pieced but not yet quilted.

Which begs the question: Are stupid people too stupid to know that they are stupid?
    Love your statement. I do feel better and I knew all of you would know where I was coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    Ask her if she rides a horse to work. There used to be a pony express for mail too.
    Isn't there a statement to the effect of, "Do you walk to work or carry your lunch?"

Blog Entries
    Just "thunk" her on the head with the palm of your hand like in the commercials about people who dont' eat their vegetables!

I guess it wasn't called baking or cooking unless they used an electric mixer to mix it all up. Same goes with quilting on the machine. It's just a faster way of doing something you enjoy doing.... That woman was very ignorant, I'm sorry you had to run into her. I dont think I would have been as nice as you.

Oh my goodness, can I ever identify with that one!

After we moved to our new condo I found a group of ladies sitting outside in the evening, chatting (gossip I suspect!) and was invited to join them. I told them I spent a lot of time quilting, and of course they said "bring some to show us!" I was eager to take them up a few days later. The oldest lady there looked at them and said "you made these on a machine?" and I answered that I had and even used my quilting machine. Everyone thought they were great until she spoke up again and "Well, I have quilts too, but they are REAL quilts!"

Dead silence. Mine were not real quilts? Of course they were, and I consider the fact the lady was "ignorant of the fact" that today's quilters are using new, time saving methods, and their quilts are every bit as good (maybe better) than some of the hand made ones. So is it a matter of opinion as to what is "real" about a quilt or is it the ignorance of some people, like the lady at the Post Office? All I am gonna say is " Some People!!!"

As a kid, I grew up next to a lady who had bees at home. Quilting bees. Everything by hand. They believed handmade was "quilting" and machine-made was "sewing." To them, their way was the only real method. Period. It's just an opinion (I probably echoed it in my youth).

No worries. Just remember for every one of them, there are thousands who disagree. You're a quilter who quilts quilts on a machine.

And, it was very rude of that woman to make a negative statement to a stranger in public. The nerve of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43
    Wouldn't it be nice sometimes to have a stamp marked "STOOPID" that you could smack people on the head with?

Ditter
    :lol: :lol: :lol: DITTO!!!

I thought that times had changed. I remember quite a few years back when machine quilting was just coming into it's own when "hand work" was considered the only TRUE way to quilt, but as more and more people started to use their machines to get into this wonderful way of expressing themselves, the view had changes to encompass both the methods. I feel there are fewer and fewer folks doing an entire quilt by hand. I have pieced a sampler quilt by hand and should get it layered and quilted. I'm torn about trying to handquilt it since it was hand pieced, but I'll be dead before it gets done. I think the woman at the post office should be pitied because she cannot recognize the exquisite work done by those whose method is using the machine. She, and others, are uneducated and should avoid making comments they know nothing about.
    Wendy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast