Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   This stunned me a bit (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stunned-me-bit-t36065.html)

Deb watkins 02-05-2010 08:49 AM

Took my packages to the post office, clerk asked the usual questions....fragile, perishable, hazardous....I said no, I am a quilter and they were quilt blocks being sent out for a block swap. Lady behind me asked if they hand or machine quilted. I replied, machine. She said, "Well, that really ISN'T quilting."

Let me clarify, she asked if I machine or hand quilted my pieces....

Again, I definately know there is a skill in hand quilting. I truly admire anyone who can do it....I just haven't reached that level yet.

dakotamaid 02-05-2010 08:50 AM

She definitely knows NOTHING about quilts or quilting!!

Rose Hall 02-05-2010 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Took my packages to the post office, clerk asked the usual questions....fragile, perishable, hazardous....I said no, I am a quilter and they were quilt blocks being sent out for a block swap. Lady behind me asked if they hand or machine quilted. I replied, machine. She said, "Well, that really ISN'T quilting."

Let me clarify, she asked if I machine or hand quilted my pieces....

Did you ask her if it isn't quilting, what is it??? Curious minds...
Rose Hall

Marcia 02-05-2010 08:55 AM

I have learned that there are tacky, rude people every where you go. And this one showed her true colors--and her ignorance!!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-05-2010 08:56 AM

In her opinion machine quilting isn't quilting. OK. I have an opinion on what she IS for saying something like that. :evil:

I'm willing to bet she doesn't appreciate my opinion any more than I appreciate her opinon!

Bill'sBonBon 02-05-2010 09:03 AM

Some people may feel that way, :roll: But quilting is quilting you are doing the same thing only in a different way. To each his or her own. :!: :thumbup: I prefer Machine, I would love to do 2 done by hand quilts,Actually Machine quilts are done by hand. SOOO I am going to rephrase my comment.
I would love to do 2 quilts without the aid of a sewing machine for my 2 daughters. TWO is all I want to do. Sewing by hand takes to long for me. :wink: :thumbup:
The lady as stated befor didn't know what she was talking about. My opinion :!:

quilterjody 02-05-2010 09:04 AM

Sounds like another quiltzilla strikes again. She needs to remember the old adage "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Ditter43 02-05-2010 09:15 AM

Wouldn't it be nice sometimes to have a stamp marked "STOOPID" that you could smack people on the head with?

Ditter

dglvr 02-05-2010 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by quilterjody
Sounds like another quiltzilla strikes again. She needs to remember the old adage "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Ditto that.

feline fanatic 02-05-2010 09:18 AM

If they were just the blocks for a block swap you could have come back... "They aren't quilted yet just pieced." That would have shut her up as well as let her know she didn't know what she was talking about. Quilting is the process of combining the layers of top, back and batting and it is really quilting whether done by machine, by hand, tied, tacked whatever. The part of the process where we make the blocks is called piecing.