Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This stunned me a bit >

This stunned me a bit

This stunned me a bit

Old 02-05-2010, 10:37 AM

I guess it wasn't called baking or cooking unless they used an electric mixer to mix it all up. Same goes with quilting on the machine. It's just a faster way of doing something you enjoy doing.... That woman was very ignorant, I'm sorry you had to run into her. I dont think I would have been as nice as you.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:50 AM

Oh my goodness, can I ever identify with that one!

After we moved to our new condo I found a group of ladies sitting outside in the evening, chatting (gossip I suspect!) and was invited to join them. I told them I spent a lot of time quilting, and of course they said "bring some to show us!" I was eager to take them up a few days later. The oldest lady there looked at them and said "you made these on a machine?" and I answered that I had and even used my quilting machine. Everyone thought they were great until she spoke up again and "Well, I have quilts too, but they are REAL quilts!"

Dead silence. Mine were not real quilts? Of course they were, and I consider the fact the lady was "ignorant of the fact" that today's quilters are using new, time saving methods, and their quilts are every bit as good (maybe better) than some of the hand made ones. So is it a matter of opinion as to what is "real" about a quilt or is it the ignorance of some people, like the lady at the Post Office? All I am gonna say is " Some People!!!"
Old 02-05-2010, 11:02 AM

As a kid, I grew up next to a lady who had bees at home. Quilting bees. Everything by hand. They believed handmade was "quilting" and machine-made was "sewing." To them, their way was the only real method. Period. It's just an opinion (I probably echoed it in my youth).

No worries. Just remember for every one of them, there are thousands who disagree. You're a quilter who quilts quilts on a machine.

And, it was very rude of that woman to make a negative statement to a stranger in public. The nerve of her.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ditter43
Wouldn't it be nice sometimes to have a stamp marked "STOOPID" that you could smack people on the head with?

Ditter
:lol: :lol: :lol: DITTO!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:20 AM

I thought that times had changed. I remember quite a few years back when machine quilting was just coming into it's own when "hand work" was considered the only TRUE way to quilt, but as more and more people started to use their machines to get into this wonderful way of expressing themselves, the view had changes to encompass both the methods. I feel there are fewer and fewer folks doing an entire quilt by hand. I have pieced a sampler quilt by hand and should get it layered and quilted. I'm torn about trying to handquilt it since it was hand pieced, but I'll be dead before it gets done. I think the woman at the post office should be pitied because she cannot recognize the exquisite work done by those whose method is using the machine. She, and others, are uneducated and should avoid making comments they know nothing about.
Wendy
Old 02-05-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
Originally Posted by Ditter43
Wouldn't it be nice sometimes to have a stamp marked "STOOPID" that you could smack people on the head with?

Ditter
:lol: :lol: :lol: DITTO!!!
We should listen to Bill Engvall and carry signs to hand out!! :lol:
Old 02-05-2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by june6995
Oh my goodness, can I ever identify with that one!

After we moved to our new condo I found a group of ladies sitting outside in the evening, chatting (gossip I suspect!) and was invited to join them. I told them I spent a lot of time quilting, and of course they said "bring some to show us!" I was eager to take them up a few days later. The oldest lady there looked at them and said "you made these on a machine?" and I answered that I had and even used my quilting machine. Everyone thought they were great until she spoke up again and "Well, I have quilts too, but they are REAL quilts!"

Dead silence. Mine were not real quilts? Of course they were, and I consider the fact the lady was "ignorant of the fact" that today's quilters are using new, time saving methods, and their quilts are every bit as good (maybe better) than some of the hand made ones. So is it a matter of opinion as to what is "real" about a quilt or is it the ignorance of some people, like the lady at the Post Office? All I am gonna say is " Some People!!!"
Thanks for the laugh. Love it.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
Ask her if she rides a horse to work. There used to be a pony express for mail too.
Good one! Don't worry about MaryMaryOhContrary. Just know that your swap partner(s) will be jazzed by the package.

When someone gives me that line, I tell them that if our grand-grands would have had sewing machines in their day, they most likely would have used them.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:45 AM

Some of those ladies still exist here in Maine too lol. I was at the quilt show last year, asking if I could take a picture of one of the raffle quilts. The lady nicely replied that I was more than welcome to, then added that "after all, this is the only realy quilt here. All the others are machine pieced". I just kept my mouth shut, took the picture, than walked off without saying a word.
I must add....alot of the quilts on display were machine pieced, including many of the shops' quilts.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:50 AM

I have an idea the original quilters would have been more than happy if they had the modern conveniences we have that enable us to finish quilts in much less time. They used what they had available. We do the same. If sewing and quilting machines make it possible for more of us to enjoy creating I'd say that's something positive for the quilting world, not negative.