Ohmygosh! I am stunned!

Old 09-23-2009, 06:49 AM

So happy to hear that they've found a place. Thanks for letting us know that it is working out.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:10 AM

Having just helped with my neice' wedding last Saturday this really caught my eye. It's jittery enough for the bride without losing the reception venue, I'd bet she cried buckets of tears last Sunday. So glad she found another location. The only crisis we had for Sarah's wedding is the cake topper slid off the cake about 20 minutes prior to the cake cutting. Heat and humidity will take a toll but the Aunts jumped and it was fashioned back together so the pictures of the cake cutting went exceptionally well. No one remembered to turn the AC on until we'd been in the building about an hour, with over 100 people it got a 'little' warm.

Hugs,
Sharon
Old 09-24-2009, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

Oh my...such a shame about the historical building. It a wonder that cities and towns across the country still have any left due to storms, fires, etc. Its really sad to loose one.

I'm glad to hear the bride found another venue...it will work out for the best for them I'm sure.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:48 PM

Hello one and all,

Well, it was a stunning day and night for my happy couple, who I am hoping are honeymooning as I type this. I was not as happy as I could have been about their cake, but let me tell you all what happened:

I got the cakes loaded into my van, and was on the road about 15 minutes after I had planned to be (which, for me, is making very good time!), and was driving carefully as I always do with a cake. There were five 9" hexagons in a circle on a large plexiglass board, a 6" and 9" hexagon, then a 12" hex stacked on a 15" hex. Also the groom's cake in its own box.

At the first mile, I turned around to check on things, and all was well. At the second mile, I was stopped at a red light and turned around to .... ohhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyy Gaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwddddddd! :shock: :shock: :shock: The largest cake was crumbling underneath -- three of the corners had completely dropped off! I pulled into a parking lot and took the 12" off of it, moving it to the safety of the floor (safely on the padding I use for traveling), and got back behind the wheel.

By the time I arrived at the Country Club, I had a plan in mind: I would just skip that tier and pre-cut what was still okay (just toss the corners that had falled off). The decorations I needed to put on it would hide any problem areas, and so I proceeded. Of course, the CC had a baby shower going on, they didn't have the table ready for the wedding cake (and even one girl didn't know there was a wedding cake coming for the wedding that afternoon -- well, duh!!!! :roll: ), and I got shoved into a room jammed with tables just waiting to be rolled into the room when the shower was done.

But I accomplished what the Bride and Groom really wanted (or so they said), and everything went swimmingly when I arrived to cut the cake later.

The local paper had done a nice story about them and their plight after the ballroom had burned down the week before, and they had a slot machine set up for their guests to play with (the Groom's hobby is going to Vegas to play). There was a sign (actually two) that indicated all the proceeds would help pay for the honeymoon, but the pictures on the sign showed the burned down hall! When the Happy Couple saw that, they really had a good laugh. :D

They also told me that they went to the burned out location and had some of their photos taken there. I'm so glad that they were able to turn a sad situation into a positive. Gives me hope that they will be very happy for a long time.

And despite the problems I had with their cake, it came together okay ... no my BEST work by any means, but as long as the Client is happy, I am happy. So, as promised, here are the photos of the wedding cake and the groom's cake:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-8266.jpe   attachment-8271.jpe  
Old 09-27-2009, 07:59 PM

Nice work Odessa. Great story by the way! Iv'e decorated wedding cakes for a living around 30 yrs. now and I could probably write a book about some of the things that can happen to the best laid plans. Is that fondant on the hexs? I just saw a black and white wedding cake this weekend. Must be a trend now.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:04 PM

No, not fondant. Honestly, I can't cover a cake in fondant to save my life. I just need to practice, I'm sure, but really have no desire. The hex is my least favorite shape to work with; difficult to get each side straight and even when iced, can look pretty bad, but it is what the Client wanted. As I said, this was not my best work, but when the Bride & Groom are happy, that's really all that matters, isn't it?

Anyway, I'm glad they liked it. Actually, I really preferred the groom's cake. The plaque of the sign was rolled fondant but everything else was freehanded on it. That part of the project was pure joy. Thanks for the kind words.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Oh wow...what a heart attack that ride would have been for me! You saved it beautifully though! So glad it all worked out....but then it usually does :lol:
Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 AM

Wow!!! Beautiful cakes.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

Those are wonderful cakes. I love a happy ending.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:01 PM

OMGsh -- that cake does look like fondant. I do cakes, also (I'm learning that many of us quilters also do cakes.) Where were the breaks? It's not obvious at all. Your decorating is beautiful. How did you get the buttercream so smooth? Also how did you support the three-tiered cake over the hexes?

Tell me more -- what kind of cake was it and what were the fillings?