Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Piecing Project Started!! >

Paper Piecing Project Started!!

Paper Piecing Project Started!!

Old 01-14-2014, 05:52 PM

Hi. My name is Anita and I am a Paper Piecing junkie!

I've looked at the pattern and it seems pretty straight forward for a PP pattern - no surprises.

To answer your questions: (1) Change your sewing machine needle frequently. Start the quilt with a new needle, then change it halfway through the project (maybe after you sew the first 220 blocks). Change rotary blades as needed. (2) I have never heard of anyone "hand" piecing/sewing a paper pieced block. You need a very short stitch length to help "perforate" the paper and make it easier to remove. (I use 1.5 on my Janome) I use regular copy paper, nothing special. I pull papers while watching tv.

Other suggestions: do not remove the paper until the entire quilt top is put together! I've learned this the hard way. You need the outer lines to sew the blocks together properly! Use plenty of pins to match points on your blocks when sewing units together, so points and seams match up properly and are not wonky. Use the same copy machine to print out all your patterns (copiers can vary the size printed slightly). Do not wet your patterns in anyway (spritzing fabric with water, starch, sizing while on the paper), the ink from the copier will transfer to either the fabric or the ironing board cover or both. Do your starching, etc. before you start to piece the block, not during the sewing of the block. (Hope this is clear). You do not have to be precise with cutting your fabric, just make sure the piece of fabric is large enough to cover the portion of the block it is meant for. (Carol Doak pre-cuts her fabric for each block and numbers them to keep them separate...I can't be bothered, especially if it is a scrap quilt. I just grab and sew.) Granted, you may use more fabric my way, but it cuts down on prep time considerably. If you are using a set number of fabrics that repeat, keep the fabric separated so you can just grab a piece and sew. A hint for piece #1 on each unit, pin it in place - but keep pin away from the seam line between #1 & #2 - this helps make sure the first piece is in the proper place. (Hope this is clear). Put the quilt top together by sewing units into blocks first, then sew blocks into rows, then row to row (I learned this the hard way, too!)

Good luck with the project. I've actually downloaded the pattern and put it on my "bucket list".

Anita

P.S. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:59 PM

A very ambitious project for a first one!!! I tried paper piecing for the first time last year and I love it!! We recently bought a new home so once my sewing room is ready I plan to incorporate a lot more PP into my life. Thanks for the link and I can't wait to see the finished project, please post pictures when you're done!!!!!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:13 PM

I love paper piecing and use the cheapest copy paper I can find. I've never had a problem with the paper causing my blade to dull any faster than usual. I've never had a problem with the paper in my machine either, but you do need to shorten your stitches considerably. I'm not one of these that change my needle after x amount of hours, I change if I'm working with a different weight of fabric, etc., but I don't throw the needle away, I'll reuse it when I switch to a different weight of fabric. I haven't done any hand piecing with paper piecing but I don't think it would work very well, because you do need to have, in order to be able to tear the paper off, without the stitches coming out.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:32 PM

I have wanted to make a kaleidoscope quilt forever but kept choking on having to cut out & sew all those triangles, but I love paper piecing. This I could handle! Thank you!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:57 PM

Jwardknits, you don't have to start with a big quilt. You can make fewer blocks & just make a wall hanging or lap quilt.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:00 PM

Very cool quilt - can't wait to see yours in civil war!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:43 AM

I just started working on Cattails in the Meadow by Judy Niemeyer.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:52 AM

I just started a class for a Judy Niemeyer table runner. Finally PP is making sense. I love the add-a-quarter ruler, too.
P.S. do not know about paper as her patterns come with paper.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:00 AM

This is one of my goals this year to learn PP, I am starting with Carol Doak's BOM that started in September, I have a lot of catching up to do, waiting on my fabric to come in this week. Thanks for the tips so far.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:15 AM

I think Anita gave you very good pointers. I, too, just use plain old copy paper when pp'ing. Works for me. Now granted, there may be other paper that works better but since the copy paper is what I've used, I don't know any better and it's just fine by me. Just shorten your stitch length and when ready, ripping the paper off is easy.

This is a beautiful quilt. Might have to go download that pattern myself!