Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Piecing Project Started!! >

Paper Piecing Project Started!!

Paper Piecing Project Started!!

Old 01-15-2014, 06:17 AM

WOW I love that quilt! Would love to see yours when it is done!! I love to Paper Piece too!! Thank You for the site I may have to make this using all my scraps.... !
Old 01-15-2014, 06:35 AM

I have become a paper piecing addict also. I like your idea of taping the 4 PP patterns to one page to make am master copy. Thanks. I also use cheap copy paper. So far I have not noticed that my rotary blade getting any duller than usual or having to change the needle more frequently than usual (which I don't do often enough).
Old 01-15-2014, 06:43 AM

I too love to paper piece. I use cheap copy paper as well. Like you I can't get the "special paper" to run through my copier without jamming. I do think the paper does dull the blade a bit quicker... but change the blade after a big P/P project. I figure its worth it, for the results I get.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:59 AM

Try this method for PP! No paper to ever rip away! One pattern piece can be used for many blocks.

http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
This pattern would be a lot easier to do with a triangle ruler! You are going to be ripping out paper through eternity plus you will be so bored! I am a PP addict but stick to Carol Doak patterns and instructions. I cant imagine hand piecing something like this. I also would use a paper made for PP. Easier to correct mistakes with it and a lot easier to take out.
Caroldoak.com
Old 01-15-2014, 10:28 AM

This looks like a simple kaleidoscope block, which can be constructed a lot easier with triangle center and HST on corner alternating light pinswheels with lite ones......it seems this is an antique quilt made harder than it really should be!
Old 01-15-2014, 12:22 PM

Wow, this looks pretty easy, next pp'ing I think.
Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Try this method for PP! No paper to ever rip away! One pattern piece can be used for many blocks.

http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21
Old 01-15-2014, 02:45 PM

That looks like a very sophisticated PP project!
The one thing I learned the hard way and will always be sure to do is REGISTRATION MARKS!!! Do not forget to make a lot of colored-pencil marks between segments of the block so when you go to join them all you can line them up perfectly.

The other thing I liked which I picked up at the Judy N class is the use of the glue stick. Works like a charm to keep the fabric in the right place.

Please do post a picture! Love to see it!
Old 01-16-2014, 05:29 AM

I love to do paper piecing so much that I actually bought a CHEAP printer to just have my paper piecing paper in and this way I never use color ink, just the black ink in medium quality.
Here is the other reason have the 2nd printer - I load it with Newspaper Print. I love this paper because it is thin and low price. I buy the large 22x? pad at the local craft store using he 50% off coupon an then cut it to 8 1/2 x 11 so I always have it ready to go. it is way easier to sew and tear at the end.
Karen
Old 01-16-2014, 10:40 AM

I use a size 16 needle and shorten my stitch length. The 16 makes it easier to remove the paper.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by giquilt View Post
I just started a class for a Judy Niemeyer table runner. Finally PP is making sense. I love the add-a-quarter ruler, too.
P.S. do not know about paper as her patterns come with paper.
I just took a class for a Judy Niemeyer table runner too! I was always intimidated by her patterns but the class put it all into perspective and I love it!!