Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BIG boo boo!!  British Quilters, PLEASE HELP !! >

BIG boo boo!! British Quilters, PLEASE HELP !!

BIG boo boo!! British Quilters, PLEASE HELP !!

Old 01-15-2014, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

Angry BIG boo boo!! British Quilters, PLEASE HELP !!

I can't believe I made such a BIG mistake. I wanted to make a mug rug for the manager of my local credit union who is from England. My great great Grandfather Jevons was born in Staffordshire England. Two days ago, I got the idea of making a mug rug using the British flag. I worked 5 hours yesterday trying to get a photo of the flag into EQ with little success. I don't have the best of luck with drawing diagonal lines on EQ. The EQ technical support got back to me with what I thought was too complicated instructions. So I just printed the flag with the short size of 6". It was little more difficult to stitch than I thought it would be but when I was laying out the last wide strip of red, it hit me that I forgot to reverse the pattern. STUPID mistake. What should I do?? It took me 13 hours yesterday to get to where I am now. Being disable, I have more bad days than good one. Will she still like it???
Attached Thumbnails union-jack-pp.jpg  
Old 01-15-2014, 06:00 AM

She will love it. And its unlikely she would even notice. That's such a thoughtful gift to make.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

I would fix it. Some people can be very particular about how the flag of their nation is represented. I would notice if someone gave me an American flag quilt and the stars were in the upper right corner instead of the upper left.

It is not a difficult fix. Simply take the corner units off that should be reversed and flip them 180 degrees. That should work.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:40 AM

I would flip them too and instead of calling it a bad day call it a learning experience. It helps us slow down the next time and as you take out seams just think of it as something to calm you down.. like down time? I do the seam ripping all the time, in fact I have to buy new ones at least once a year because I dull them your doing fine and it will be absolutely brilliant when your finished.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Bummer! I can tell you are not happy with it so you will want to fix it. I would piece the blue and white corners and appliqué the red strip. Maybe even use a narrow red ribbon and leave a little spot open in the seam to run the end under and then stitch the spot in the seam closed.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:51 AM

I would also check into their flag etiquette, before gifting it. For an American flag, it would be considered disrespectful, to use the flag (or its likeness) in that manner.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:53 AM

Nice job so far. Although it did take you a long time to make this, it's not what you were aiming for. With that said, I'd fix it. I agree with feline fanatic, who referred to the stars being in the wrong corner of a US flag. It's not the US flag if all 50 stars are not in the upper left corner. Therefore, this is not a British flag if the red stripes are not in the right positions.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:11 AM

In spite of the mistake you did a great job of putting it together! After all that time I'm almost reluctant to suggest this but there is a great paper pieced flag here. It is designed to be a tea cosy but if you could downsize the templates it could be used for a mug rug... I made the tea cosy for my sister for christmas and it turned out great.

http://lilysquilts.blogspot.ca/search?q=tea+cosy
Old 01-15-2014, 07:22 AM

I wouldn't worry too much, perhaps when you give the gift over admit your mistake, I really don't think they will take offence in fact will probably find it funny - you would be surprised how often our flag ends up the wrong way!!!! I think they will be delighted that you have made such a lovely and thoughful gift.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:47 AM

Psssst....rotate your block around. It'll match the photo pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails big-boo-boo-british-quilters-please-help-.jpg