New addition to my collection

Old 01-15-2014, 02:39 PM

Location: Cabin at the lake.. on my way to Brunswick as soon as the house is complete
Default New addition to my collection

I think this is a 1891 Crinkle V2 Singer according to the serial number it is dated 1891 and from what I red on Rain's blog it is a V2.

I picked this up yesterday in KC. It had a motor attached and a light on it but took those off. Am in the process of cleaning it up. It is in pretty good shape considering the age. Very few scratches. And it came with a shuttle and 4 bobbins. $25.00.

This machine was originally a treadle and will go into a treadle cabinet when I get everything moved.

I was out today and found the Manual of Family Sewing Machines book dated 1923 and the Singer Lubricant at a local thrift store. They were hidden away in an old Kenmore cabinet got them both for$1.00 total.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]456734[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]456735[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]456736[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sewing-machine-007.jpg   sewing-machine-003.jpg   sewing-machine-010.jpg  
Old 01-15-2014, 02:44 PM

Location: Cabin at the lake.. on my way to Brunswick as soon as the house is complete

OH and I met to add ....the hands in the pic are my husbands...he is getting into this and seems to think that my small collection which now totals 23 can easily hit 100 with no problem for him. He is a wood worker and is very interested in restoring the old treadle cabinets. He is also very interested in the older machines. I have showed him some pics of things Steve has posted. Hopefully I can get him on board and be able to expand my collection.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:14 PM

that is a nice machine and a fiddle base. looks like it just need a little cleaning up, oiling and you're good to go. good price too. that will be a nice treadle machine. congrats. and they're growing.....

you're not going to use the singer lubricant, right? as it has a shelf life of 5 years only. you can check it if there's separation of oil then it's not good. but to be safe buy a new one for your sewing machine.

Last edited by vmaniqui; 01-15-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
that is a nice machine. looks like it just need a little cleaning up, oiling and you're good to go. good price too. that will be a nice treadle machine. congrats. and they're growing.....

you're not going to use the singer lubricant, right? as it has a shelf life of 5 years only. you can check it if there's separation of oil then it's not good. but to be safe buy a new one for your sewing machine.
No I Will not use the Singer Lubricant...it will just go on my shelf with the other old singer items like the oil cans etc.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:06 PM

Nice machine - it's amazing the different ones that got reconditioned with the crinkle coat. I have a 27 that is the same.

DH and I saw an old 27 that someone had put into a case and fabricated a motor attachment (to the case, not the machine) and then had it wired so there was an on/off switch at the front of the case.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by brunswickgirl View Post
I think this is a 1891 Crinkle V2 Singer according to the serial number it is dated 1891 and from what I red on Rain's blog it is a V2.
It's a VS2, a V2 is a German rocket. $25 sounds like a bargain: Pity they ruined the original decals when "refurbishing". My two had "Victorian" (beyond saving) and "Roses and Daisies", the latter being very original.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:51 AM

one can only hope that the decals were beyond saving before it was re-coated. What hurts me is seeing one that would have wonderful decals - but someone too a wet rag to is and silvered them horribly. They just wanted to wash the dust off, and a bit of water and dish soap wouldn't hurt anything . . . would it?
Old 01-16-2014, 05:58 AM

Would someone explain why these machines were reconditioned. The circumstances and maybe when.

thankyou
Old 01-16-2014, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by brunswickgirl View Post

I picked this up yesterday in KC. It had a motor attached and a light on it but took those off. Am in the process of cleaning it up. It is in pretty good shape considering the age. Very few scratches. And it came with a shuttle and 4 bobbins. $25.00.

This machine was originally a treadle and will go into a treadle cabinet when I get everything moved.

I was out today and found the Manual of Family Sewing Machines book dated 1923 and the Singer Lubricant at a local thrift store. They were hidden away in an old Kenmore cabinet got them both for$1.00 total.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]456734[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]456735[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]456736[/ATTACH]
That is a great find, especially the book. Where abouts were you in the KC area to find these items. Was it at a Goodwill Store, Salvation Army Store or just a thrift store.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Very nice machine!