Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why I shouldn't clean my sewing room >

Why I shouldn't clean my sewing room

Why I shouldn't clean my sewing room

Old 01-17-2014, 04:03 PM

I have been telling myself that as soon as I finish this crib quilt for a friend I WILL sit on the floor amongst all my "stuff" and get it cleaned & sorted, well last night I finished the quilt & today...Grandbaby #9 made her appearance so here I go trying to find the right pattern & fabric for a baby quilt...the room will never be cleaned at this rate. Not to mention one of my other Granddaughters is learning to quilt here at my house so we really have a messy sewing room. Little Miss Annalee 6lbs 12oz of pure sweetness.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:08 PM

I found when I straighten up my sewing room, I can't remember where I put things. I'm better off not cleaning it!
Old 01-17-2014, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by zennia View Post
I can't find anything when I organize my room.
Sure glad that I am not the only one who ends up in a pickle and can't find anything. Makes me feel so much better now.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:26 PM

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie...
Old 01-18-2014, 06:14 AM

Yes Zozee that is so true. I have some fabric that was given to me that I don't even like. It just isn't my kind of colors. I am going thru it and cutting kits for a couple of sewing days my guild is having. We a doing a quilts of valor day. I don't have a whole lot for that. We are also doing a day for Ronald McDonald and I have lots that would work for that. I might have enough for that whole sew in day. I am off Monday and plan to cut kits all afternoon. My guild also makes doll quilts for Salvation Army and I am going to pass out kits for that too. I did finally put up pegboard in a corner to hang my rulers so now I can usually find them.
I have a half of a closet full of what I call my ugly fabric. Other people love it. The other half is FQ. My yardage is stored under my cutting table. As I was digging in that the other night it is almost embarrasing what is there.
I just need to retire so I can sew more. Not happening any time soon.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:43 AM

I just decided today that anything I start out of my stash is a freebie. It doesn't really count... lol because you never know when inspiration is going to hit you over the head.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:43 AM

yes, but did you find your baby quilt back? lol, ducking and running here
Old 01-18-2014, 06:45 AM

If I clean my sewing room, I can never find what I'm looking for. When it is messy, I know where things are. LOL
Old 01-19-2014, 06:56 AM

Last year I told myself I wasn't allowed to start a new project until I finished 2 UFO'S. I did pretty well with this. I took a whole pile of them to my guild retreat and finished a bunch of them. I plan to do the same again this year. My UFO pile is almost gone. I have several quilts waiting to be quilted. I need to get those done. The baby quilt I was hunting for a back for is almost quilted. I also found some binding for it.
I got a lot of cleaning done last year when I made myself put away a certain number of things before I could sit down to sew. My cutting table which is 4x4 is almost cleaned off. There is still a pile in the back that I need to go thru. I know there is a 1600 quilt in it that I hate. I didn't like the jelly roll before I sewed it and I still hate it. I gotta clean that pile up too.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:05 AM

There seems to be LOTS of postings on organizing/cleaning our sewing spaces and finishing UFO's.....more than usual. I am joining this thought as well. Lots of UFO's to finish, fabric to wash and put away, and the most fun (for me anyway) is all the accumulated strips and pieces of fabric 3-6 inches that go into my log cabin quilts. For this reason alone ( time to sew without worrying about the yard and gardens) I don't mind winter. I can snuggle with my stash!