Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why it takes so long to clean a sewing room!

Why it takes so long to clean a sewing room!

I won a Moda layer cake from the LQS. Didn't know where to store it as my fabric is sorted by color. Finally decided to cut it up, make squares and HSTs, pair it with a light fabric and make a quilt top. I've made 300 squares, HSTs. Now am piecing the blocks which take 25 of the squares and HSTs. I have about 5 hours in the quilt so far. All to put away about 3 yards of fabric!

Blog Entries
    LOL. I store my yardage by color and my fat quarters in 2 plastic carts by color and my scraps in 2 bins- light and dark. I do have another cart just for fat quarter sets and precuts.
    'He cannot be a gentleman which loveth not a dog' -John Northbrooke
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
    I won a Moda layer cake from the LQS. Didn't know where to store it as my fabric is sorted by color. Finally decided to cut it up, make squares and HSTs, pair it with a light fabric and make a quilt top. I've made 300 squares, HSTs. Now am piecing the blocks which take 25 of the squares and HSTs. I have about 5 hours in the quilt so far. All to put away about 3 yards of fabric!
    HaHaHa Don't we all know the way that goes!
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Blog Entries
    Last time I decided to straighten up my sewing room I ended up with several piles of fabric that I decided would make a good quilt. I ended up with 3 quilts cut out and a bigger mess than I started with.

That's my task today, clean and sort. But this time, I'm going to keep a notebook tally of UFO's and future projects. It always seems like I run across fabrics or sets of fabrics that I had forgotten.

Oh, we must be related! Whenever I decide to clean and "organize" my sewing room I end up starting a new project because I suddenly see all this fabric I forgot I had! Yes, it is a disease but I don't want the cure!
    Michelle Guadarrama

I store my fabrics by color and whether they are prints or plains. I store precuts separately in a cubby hole in the bottom of one of my cupboards and also have a cubby for prints that are multicolored so you can't say exactly what color they are. Every one has to come up with their own system.

Blog Entries
    Sounds familiar!!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

It's called Quilter's Fever...and it is chronic..no known cure! Comes on suddenly and lasts indefinitely

Just finished my third organization, complete, of my sewing room in six years. Took me seven days, all books are now in category order, fabrics in color order, patterns arranged so I can find them and I'm a happy quilter. So now on with my Christmas projects, maybe this year I'll do it right. Well at least I'm sure going to try. Do you also find that after you finish a project that you need to make a cleanup? I try to be neat throughout the process, but end up with scraps and unused pieces all over the place. Ah well, it is fabric and it is all worth it.

Put it away? It sounded to me like you were using it up. Which ever we would love pics when you are finished.

I started cleaning my sewing rooms yesterday. I have to give the house a quick once over and be done by Thursday. Which is tomorrow......LOL

Our neighbor is a realtor and is coming over to give us an idea what our house is worth.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Being a realtor myself, I know it makes a big difference with organization in pricing a home for sale or even just for reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    I started cleaning my sewing rooms yesterday. I have to give the house a quick once over and be done by Thursday. Which is tomorrow......LOL

Our neighbor is a realtor and is coming over to give us an idea what our house is worth.

Blog Entries
    I went through my stash yesterday to pull fabrics for a quilt. It reminds me of dusting the books in my bookcases--I just have to stop and read little bits...then I look up two hours later and still haven't dusted the books! I kept thinking, "Oh, this will go with... what if I put these two together...this color is perfect for..." I did pull the fabrics I needed, but it took much more time than I had planned.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

lol I know the feeling have fun
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Blog Entries
    We lost our power yesterday due to a storm, oh no I can't sew, next best thing is to tidy my sewing rooms, stroke my fabric, sit and dream of ALL the quilts I would like to make. It turned out to be a great day, now I can sew in my tidy sewing rooms, but I know they will not stay like this for long

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I have to finish cleaning up mine and then work on my extended brick patio so that will give me a relief from the sewing room for a bit !LOL AND it will be clean when I go back into it to sew/quilt/craft (then the process starts all over again !LOL).
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I can relate to Nammie to 7! I was doing some comfort quilts for my quilt group and needed to cut some fabric. By the time I had put all of the stuff on my cutting table up, I almost forgot what I was supposed to be doing on the table.

Blog Entries
    I just cleaned my 7'x13' sewing room and found things I'd forgotten, Lord help me when we finish painting and flooring my new sewing room 15x18. Will be finally setting up my Tin Lizzie 18 so will still be loosing some room but I figure I'll still keep a lot of things in the old sewing room, right now I'm on the look out for some shelving to spread out the fabric I have for easy searching. Tomorrow I hit an Estate sale that has a small shelving unit & a sewing room YEEHAWW!

Blog Entries
    I need to wear tunnel vision glasses when I clean my sewing room - I get so sidetracked by what's around. Kinda like my 2 year old lab "look..........a squirrel!"
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

This must be the reason I never get mine cleaned and organized. Too sidetracked.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

That's what's known as mission creep!

Quote Originally Posted by Terri D. View Post
    That's what's known as mission creep!
    Haha! I have a really bad case of that!
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

I can so relate. Every time I clean my sewing room, I discover little projects that I'd forgotten. My last deep cleaning, produced an extensive list of UFOs and another equally long list of planned projects. I, too, organize my fabric mostly by color but I have a special set of shelves for coordinated planned project fabric (which I try not to rob from when working on other projects). I also have my bali fabrics stored separately and sorted by color. But it is so much fun to look at everything that accumulates and get the imagination and creativity flowing again...almost as much fun as going to fabric stores. Oh, and yes, it generally looks like a tornado my sewing room for several days before it all gets put back together and time is often lost in the middle as I draft designs for the fabric I've rediscovered on my shelves.

I just try to keep my scraps kind of sorted by sizes. After I finish a quilt I clean up my 90" counter and then start getting out more fabrics or scraps for the next quilt. Never stays cleaned up for long. I am continually working on a quilt. My fabrics are all folded and stored in my two large closets. With my puppy I don't get a lot of time sewing. Still trying to keep his accidents down. He is 7 1/2 Months old.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast