Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Why it takes so long to clean a sewing room! >

Why it takes so long to clean a sewing room!

Why it takes so long to clean a sewing room!

Old 07-08-2014, 08:18 PM

Default Why it takes so long to clean a sewing room!

I won a Moda layer cake from the LQS. Didn't know where to store it as my fabric is sorted by color. Finally decided to cut it up, make squares and HSTs, pair it with a light fabric and make a quilt top. I've made 300 squares, HSTs. Now am piecing the blocks which take 25 of the squares and HSTs. I have about 5 hours in the quilt so far. All to put away about 3 yards of fabric!
Old 07-09-2014, 01:52 AM

LOL. I store my yardage by color and my fat quarters in 2 plastic carts by color and my scraps in 2 bins- light and dark. I do have another cart just for fat quarter sets and precuts.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
I won a Moda layer cake from the LQS. Didn't know where to store it as my fabric is sorted by color. Finally decided to cut it up, make squares and HSTs, pair it with a light fabric and make a quilt top. I've made 300 squares, HSTs. Now am piecing the blocks which take 25 of the squares and HSTs. I have about 5 hours in the quilt so far. All to put away about 3 yards of fabric!
HaHaHa Don't we all know the way that goes!
Old 07-09-2014, 03:48 AM

Last time I decided to straighten up my sewing room I ended up with several piles of fabric that I decided would make a good quilt. I ended up with 3 quilts cut out and a bigger mess than I started with.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:49 AM

That's my task today, clean and sort. But this time, I'm going to keep a notebook tally of UFO's and future projects. It always seems like I run across fabrics or sets of fabrics that I had forgotten.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:05 AM

Oh, we must be related! Whenever I decide to clean and "organize" my sewing room I end up starting a new project because I suddenly see all this fabric I forgot I had! Yes, it is a disease but I don't want the cure!
Old 07-09-2014, 04:24 AM

I store my fabrics by color and whether they are prints or plains. I store precuts separately in a cubby hole in the bottom of one of my cupboards and also have a cubby for prints that are multicolored so you can't say exactly what color they are. Every one has to come up with their own system.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:24 AM

Sounds familiar!!
Old 07-09-2014, 05:14 AM

It's called Quilter's Fever...and it is chronic..no known cure! Comes on suddenly and lasts indefinitely
Old 07-09-2014, 07:11 AM

Just finished my third organization, complete, of my sewing room in six years. Took me seven days, all books are now in category order, fabrics in color order, patterns arranged so I can find them and I'm a happy quilter. So now on with my Christmas projects, maybe this year I'll do it right. Well at least I'm sure going to try. Do you also find that after you finish a project that you need to make a cleanup? I try to be neat throughout the process, but end up with scraps and unused pieces all over the place. Ah well, it is fabric and it is all worth it.