Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Why it takes so long to clean a sewing room! >

Why it takes so long to clean a sewing room!

Why it takes so long to clean a sewing room!

Old 06-07-2019, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by AnnEliz View Post
I'm getting mine ready for the inevitable. It has been my "space" for 14 years and now I can only imagine what will happen when someone has to clean it out so I'm starting now!!! Big problem is that I don't want to get rid of anything. Oh what am I to do---woe is me!!! I think I will start with my beloved magazines--I have more than 2 shelves of them counting the spill over into piles wherever I can find to put them. Every time I look at one I find something that I like now and didn't like when I last looked at it. Any suggestions. Most are now in magazine folders on shelves from years back. Appreciate suggestions. I tried cutting them up and saving what I wanted in loose leaf folders--have 4 huge folders full now, so that didn't work.
On magazines, I cut what i wanted out, then filed by shapes and subjects. Lines, squares, triangles....log cabins. rail fence, roman stripe . Each shape categories had separate files behind it. Easy to file and easy to find..I keep them in file boxes (5)also files for how to, tools. subject Christmas, fall, water , sailing, fishing, men, cats, batik. also i try to keep patterns to use scraps. For the patterns you may like later, I don't worry about, let the rest of the magazine go. You won't know you missed them. Do staple articles you keep together. Now part way under control.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:29 PM

You are much braver and more determined than I am!
Old 06-08-2019, 05:19 AM

What a hoot! It sounds like we are all the same. When I organize/clean my sewing room, I have a notebook to write down UFO's and future projects. It keeps me from digging in to a UFO and going off the trail. Afterall, cleaning isn't the fun part. Of course a few projects end up on the sewing table to do next. My list is handy after I have finished a project and in a lull to start something new.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:23 PM

I go through cycles. I am just focused on finishing two quilts and setting up a project to get my stash used up. It is hard because like many others, I like all my fabric and I see all the things I want to do with it.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:00 AM

I think its because we are always trying to find a new way to organize it so it doesn't happen again. Which it will, during each project. Plus, I'm always finding new things that I didn't know or had forgotten about and then wonder what I can do with that. I recently went into the storage closet in my room looking for something, I found a sewing machine that my daughter had "lost" so I gave her another one and a whole big tote of fabric. I have no idea how many years the tote has been in there or for sure where it came from. But I'm now making a new tunic pattern and I found some good fabric to make a couple of them and there's tons more.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:11 AM

I know...I need to get the vacuum cleaner up in mine and move and clean everything. It takes so much energy to move the ironing board, baskets and you name it.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:25 AM

I just moved so all my craft stuff is in disarray. (The movers didn't care how they packed it up lol) now I'm finding all my fabrics and can't wait!
Before I moved I had it all organized by colors as well. Glad to know I'm not alone!
Old 12-14-2019, 05:42 AM

I worked all morning yesterday and part of the afternoon (in between posting here that is) trying to find the floor in my sewing room. I managed to cut through 2 layers of fabric and boxes on the floor to find one big mess of threads! I am now only 2 rows deep in thing sewing stuff on the floor! So making progress. I don't believe my sewing studio is ever really put together. I do hope to have scrap bins put away soon. That will bring me to one row around the walls deep in things. I know I can get it done but it is a long battle just to bring it all out slowly to be at an arms
reach again.
Fabric storage is pretty neatly arranged, except right now for scraps. I have things in deep cupboards arranged by color or by type, such and repos or batiks. Right now it is my scraps that are getting the best of me since I just finished making 4 different scrappy quilts over the summer. Three of these are finished and one is not. But it is time to get the scraps put away or at least most of them.