Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why it takes so long to clean a sewing room!

It's a sickness, indeed! I have to set 15 minute timers and race the clock to stay on track. 15 minutes to fold all the fabric--go! 15 minutes to sort scraps and whatever's not sorted stays put. Go! 15 minutes to pull patterns I know I want to keep, and file them in notebook . Go! 15 minutes to pick up all the scraps and junk off the floor! Go! 15 to clear off my cutting table and other table. Go!

Yeah, but it ends up more like , 'Might as well press these scraps....oh, what size should I cut this one into...I need more yellows...flip through magazines and decide to give some away...or not...don't EVEN get me started on the closet. That's a whole separate monster!"

I store my fabric by project rather than by color. I'm a fairly new quilter and purchase fabric by collection (several, if not all from a specific line/designer). For example, I have Kansas Troubles "Sweet Pea", Moda's "Grant Park", and Primitive Gatherings "Old Glory" and also their "Snowmen Gatherings". That way all the fabrics are together and ready for me to use when I am ready to start a new project.
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

I get distracted by 'shiney' things.

I'm getting mine ready for the inevitable. It has been my "space" for 14 years and now I can only imagine what will happen when someone has to clean it out so I'm starting now!!! Big problem is that I don't want to get rid of anything. Oh what am I to do---woe is me!!! I think I will start with my beloved magazines--I have more than 2 shelves of them counting the spill over into piles wherever I can find to put them. Every time I look at one I find something that I like now and didn't like when I last looked at it. Any suggestions. Most are now in magazine folders on shelves from years back. Appreciate suggestions. I tried cutting them up and saving what I wanted in loose leaf folders--have 4 huge folders full now, so that didn't work.
    Last edited by AnnEliz; 09-13-2014 at 09:53 AM. Reason: type

Oh Geri B. I love your statement---it is so so so TRUE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnEliz View Post
    I'm getting mine ready for the inevitable. It has been my "space" for 14 years and now I can only imagine what will happen when someone has to clean it out so I'm starting now!!! Big problem is that I don't want to get rid of anything. Oh what am I to do---woe is me!!! I think I will start with my beloved magazines--I have more than 2 shelves of them counting the spill over into piles wherever I can find to put them. Every time I look at one I find something that I like now and didn't like when I last looked at it. Any suggestions. Most are now in magazine folders on shelves from years back. Appreciate suggestions. I tried cutting them up and saving what I wanted in loose leaf folders--have 4 huge folders full now, so that didn't work.
    On magazines, I cut what i wanted out, then filed by shapes and subjects. Lines, squares, triangles....log cabins. rail fence, roman stripe . Each shape categories had separate files behind it. Easy to file and easy to find..I keep them in file boxes (5)also files for how to, tools. subject Christmas, fall, water , sailing, fishing, men, cats, batik. also i try to keep patterns to use scraps. For the patterns you may like later, I don't worry about, let the rest of the magazine go. You won't know you missed them. Do staple articles you keep together. Now part way under control.

You are much braver and more determined than I am!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

What a hoot! It sounds like we are all the same. When I organize/clean my sewing room, I have a notebook to write down UFO's and future projects. It keeps me from digging in to a UFO and going off the trail. Afterall, cleaning isn't the fun part. Of course a few projects end up on the sewing table to do next. My list is handy after I have finished a project and in a lull to start something new.

I go through cycles. I am just focused on finishing two quilts and setting up a project to get my stash used up. It is hard because like many others, I like all my fabric and I see all the things I want to do with it.

Blog Entries
    I think its because we are always trying to find a new way to organize it so it doesn't happen again. Which it will, during each project. Plus, I'm always finding new things that I didn't know or had forgotten about and then wonder what I can do with that. I recently went into the storage closet in my room looking for something, I found a sewing machine that my daughter had "lost" so I gave her another one and a whole big tote of fabric. I have no idea how many years the tote has been in there or for sure where it came from. But I'm now making a new tunic pattern and I found some good fabric to make a couple of them and there's tons more.
    Judy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2