Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Material >

Cutting Material

Cutting Material

Old 01-16-2014, 11:16 AM

Smile Cutting Material

Please help. Right now I am unable to stand for very long and cut material. Had surgery on knee and not doing to good with it. Anyway my question is this. I am trying to figure out a way to sit and cut my material, does anyone else do this and if so can you give me suggestions or better yet pictures. If I can't figure anything out I may have to give up my sewing and quilting. For 2 days now I have been trying to cut material to make a travel bag for my sewing utensils. Almost got it done but I am so swollen and hurt so bad. I just know someone on here will come up with a good ideal for me.

Thank you
verna2197
Old 01-16-2014, 11:20 AM

Oh, please don't quit .... we would miss you. Can you cut for short periods of time .... 5 -7 minutes? Then switch to another activity for the same amount of time, coming back to the cutting. It may take longer but you're getting it done.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:30 AM

I have cut sitting down before. The way I did it was this: I used a wooden TV tray and put my smaller cutting mat on it. I set it next to my height adjustable office chair. I put the height if the chair almost to the highest setting so I was able to lean over the TV tray while cutting. This method can put a strain on your neck and back but I was able to cut longer this way than I was able to standing. I didn't cut large pieces of fabric due to the size restrictions of the TV tray.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:44 AM

Do you have a friend nearby who could cut quilt kits for you using your fabric and patterns?
Old 01-16-2014, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

Do you have a kitchen counter you can use that's wide enough for your cutting mat. Then a bar stool to sit on and prop your leg with the bad knee on a box?
Old 01-16-2014, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

When my pinched nerve in my neck was really bad, I had to find a way to hold my ruler and still cut with my right arm. I placed my cutting board on the kitchen floor with all my stuff within reach. I used my large 15 inch square, arranged my fabric on the board and SAT on my 15 inch square to cut. The whole point is ....you have to be able to anchor the ruler in order to cut with a rotary cutter from a non-standing position.
For your situation, if you could anchored the ruler, you could cut sitting down. How about a piece of plywood that you could use carpenter wood clamps to hold the ruler? You could place it at a sitting height or even on your lap to cut.
I also think they make a ruler/cutting combo that allows you to lock the ruler in place for cutting unusual angles. I can't remember who makes it or if it would work for you though.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:58 AM

*** I have cut sitting down at my Lowered Ironing Board.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:16 PM

I cut sitting down most of the time. Maybe it works because I am tall and have long arms. When I am cutting fleece or extremely long pieces, I stand with my right foot on the floor and my left knee on a chair. If I didn't lower my body a few inches that way, the table would be too low. I guess we each have to find what works for us - our bodies and our furniture.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

Sorry, no ideas here. I haven't tried sitting down to cut. I know a lower surface is easier to cut on than a higher one.
The above idea to cut a few minutes, do something and come back to cutting. Sounds like shorter time cutting would be easier.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:36 PM

I use my ironing board with a small piece of thin plywood under the cutting mat so it is solid and sit on my adjustable sewing chair--have done it this way for several years--works for me just fine. Have arthritis in feet, hips and back plus an artificial knee so standing is a problem for me also--