Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oh no!!!! Polar vortex is coming back >

Oh no!!!! Polar vortex is coming back

Oh no!!!! Polar vortex is coming back

Old 01-18-2014, 10:11 AM

The sun is shining and it's cool out, but, I've got a big pot of soup cooking and a pecan pie in the oven. Love it. I just don't go out. Much! You all have a really good week-end.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
I'm probably the only one out there, but I LOVE the cold weather in January! It's seasonal! I wouldn't want it in July, or even April, but January's supposed to be cold! I love to have the oven on and bake and warm up the kitchen, bundle up by the fire or just sit and watch the snow blow around. Then when spring comes, I've had enough cold, and am ready for it to warm up. And yes, I love the heat in the summer, too!!

Me Too but don't tell my friends that, they already think I am crazy liking the snow except when I have to drive in it.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:24 AM

Al Roker explained the term Polar Vortex. It's not a new term. He shared a page from one of his college textbooks where it's explained. The severity of that last cold we had was much colder than what we in Kentucky normally experience, and apparently everywhere else as well. I suppose that's why they were looking for a different term to describe it from what is normally used. These two pages explain it a little better: From the weather channel--->http://www.weather.com/news/weather-...nuary-20140117 and for a simple definition---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_vortex Whatever they use to describe it, we about froze our butts off in Kentucky! lol lol
Old 01-18-2014, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
Also from a hot (and of late fiery) Perth, Western Australia.
I have seen on the news what you are going through. I,m so sorry. I guess we all have our weather
crosses to bear. We are heading into another frigid spell. There is no weather equality, is there.
Stay cool.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:58 AM

I'm so glad I'm retired! I don't mind some cold but recess duty, bus duty, and shoveling sidewalks so hubby could get in the garage just plain got old!! (Now before some of you say he could shovel when he got home, I got home at 4ish, only a 3 mile drive. He didn't get home until 6-7 pm and had a 25 mile drive. Sometimes on the iciest roads). I was more than glad to make it easy for him to get into the warm garage. Now we can pick and choose when to go out, love it!!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by fairydawn View Post
If you live in Michigan you never know what to expect, you just try to be prepared for anything. I am not liking the cold and snow the older I get. Not looking forward to the next deep freeze! {Hi Kelli}
I agree on your comments on Michigan, getting older and really do not want another frigid blast.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:08 PM

DH is so over the media hype so I keep telling him the Polar Vortex is coming back just to bug him. LOL. I'm hoping that this time, there isn't the snow and wind we had the last time.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:01 PM

I am pretty much over winter. Tired of boots. Tired of coats, scarves, and gloves. Tired of the weather getting in the way of things I need (want) to do
Old 01-18-2014, 01:43 PM

I think the media is turning us all in to "Weather Wimps" (Except for those in Australia, I can't believe what you are going through) I live in Colorado, it gets cold here and it snows. I have a four wheel drive, extra quilts and a fire place with wood. I was born here and have lived here for most of my life. I remember much colder and much snowier weather. I remember longer cold snaps, more ice, major blizzards and most of them were back in the day when the weathermen were just guessing and we had no warning. I stock up in September and keep stocked up through the end of May. We winterize our vehicles in early fall every year. Having said all of that...the weather isn't that bad every year, it only takes one or two bad years to learn. I hope everyone stays warm and safe through this next round.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:57 PM

lynnie, I like the way you think. A new project or fabric is a must for any weather problem. I am thinking of getting a treadle for after a hurricane.