Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Eleanor Burns book should I buy? >

What Eleanor Burns book should I buy?

What Eleanor Burns book should I buy?

Old 01-29-2014, 11:55 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
Default What Eleanor Burns book should I buy?

I've been quilting since 1992 and just today saw a YouTube video with Eleanor Burns. I loved it. I love her way of making flying geese! I just love everything about her. I want to buy one of her books but have no idea which to buy. I would like one that she teaches her tricks to quilting and will have quite a few quilts in it. I think I will buy her Log Cabin book, but I want something that will teach me her way of quilting. I can't believe it took me this long to finally check her out. I see people write about her on this board, but I didn't think too much about it. Well, she is so awesome I want to learn from her. Could you suggest a good book that would give me a few quilts to make and have her tips and techniques also? Thank you, Jeanne
Old 01-29-2014, 12:01 PM

I have both her Irish Chain and Double Pinwheel books and I love them both. I made both quilts and they worked out just like she said they would. I would just start with one of her pattern books and go from there. I have seen lots of them on ebay. The only thing I don't like about her patterns is they can get tedious since you have to make all the strips before cutting and starting to form your blocks. You can't just make one block and see how it looks so you need to be really careful as you go to make sure seam allowance is correct etc. But once you start putting them together you start to see the quilt forming. They do go really fast! Just try one and have fun Happy Quilting!
Old 01-29-2014, 12:04 PM

Are you aware there are dozens of her videos available for free at Quilt in a Day? You can watch may of them that take you through her process. Also, you can watch this year's block party at Quilt in a Day TV for free any time after the original air date. A few more videos might help you decide on a book. I LOVE her Egg Money Quilts book and have made several things from it.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:08 PM

I have her Egg Money Quilt book. It has several different patterns & great instructions.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
Are you aware there are dozens of her videos available for free at Quilt in a Day? You can watch may of them that take you through her process. Also, you can watch this year's block party at Quilt in a Day TV for free any time after the original air date. A few more videos might help you decide on a book. I LOVE her Egg Money Quilts book and have made several things from it.
No, I didn't know there are dozens of her videos at Quilt in a Day. Thank you for telling me about them. I will check out her site right now. I know nothing about Eleanor Burns at all.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
No, I didn't know there are dozens of her videos at Quilt in a Day. Thank you for telling me about them. I will check out her site right now. I know nothing about Eleanor Burns at all.
That's odd. She's a quilting icon.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by needles3thread View Post
I have her Egg Money Quilt book. It has several different patterns & great instructions.

DITTO, I learned a lot with this book.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:44 PM

I can quite honestly say that if it were not for Eleanor Burns I would not have started quilting. This is a fairly new hobby for me and when I discovered her online tutorials I was completely hooked. I have several of her books and each one is very clearly illustrated with step by step instructions. You might like to consider 'Egg Money Quilts' or 'Quilts Through the Seasons' which covers 12 designs using 'fussy cuts' and embellishments as well as her strip piecing method. Without a doubt Eleanor has been my inspiration. There are no quilting groups or even good fabric shops where I live and so I rely entirely on the internet for supplies and help. With EB and the lovely ladies on this board I think I have literally got it all sewn up.
Janet
Old 01-29-2014, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
That's odd. She's a quilting icon.
I knew her name and that she has a lot of books, and lots of quilters like her, but I never checked her out. Had no reason to. So glad I did today. I wish I would have tried her flying geese method years ago. I have a hard time with FG. Her way seems easy. I just put in my cart her small flying geese ruler. I'm reading about her different books. But so far I think I'm going to find the Egg Money quilt book. Thanks to you who helped me. And thanks for not making me feel stupid that I didn't know anything about her. I was afraid to ask this question because I was afraid I would look a fool.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:51 PM

Jcrow, you will love her geese ruler! I have always made geese with a wonky right wing until that ruler. It was a great purchase for me.