Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
marking your quilts >

marking your quilts

marking your quilts

Old 01-30-2014, 07:53 AM

Default marking your quilts

Think about it, is there a single day that goes by that you don't learn something new about quilting? I was wondering how to mark my quilt top for quilting. If it's already sandwiched, obviously a light table or something wouldn't work. I found this website and learned all kinds of new stuff. Have any of you tried these methods? Do you have other methods that work well for you? I'd love to learn more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHXoitox02E

Michelle
Old 01-30-2014, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

I use white chalkboard chalk for medium to dark fabrics. I found a hint that used an makeup pencil sharpening for the chalk and it works well. I can wipe off the marks with a damp cloth most if the time or wash the quilt if necessary. On light fabrics I usually FMQ a design freehand or point to point quilting following the block construction lines.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by Tartan; 01-30-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:21 AM

My inner cheapskate won't let me buy Golden Threads paper. It does look like it would work well. I use the blue wash out pens for light fabric and soap slivers for dark fabric.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

I am not interested in making quilting designs. I love just a large stipple and occasionally straight line quilting.
I am glad there are items out there for those that are interested.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

I am a fan of golden threads paper and have used it several times. It is a handy tool. Just be cautious on what you use to draw on it. I had the graphite from a water soluble pencil I used embed in the thread. Thankfully it washed out. I read a horror story from someone else who used permanent marker to mark the paper and it transferred to the quilt when stitching. Now I will only mark the paper with the blue water soluble markers. That way if there is any transfer it will wash out. Another thing I have used when the quilt is already sandwiched is a transfer paper called transdoodle. I have only used the white so can't vouch for how other colors come out. It is somewhat spendy and comes out almost too well. I pre-marked too large a portion of the quilt and it rubbed out (I was handquilting so a lot of manipulation) so now I only mark as I go with that product. It may not be so fragile/temporary when rack quilting.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:37 AM

Thanks, Tartan, for the sharpening hint for chalk. I will definitely use this trick. Normally I use Clover white blue and pink water soluble pencils for transferring designs for hand quilting after the quilt has been sandwiched together.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:55 AM

I also use regular old chalk to mark my quilts and disappearing ink for feather spines so I don't have to wash them away. Unless it's super duper special or intricate I avoid marking at all costs! I love freehand!
Old 01-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

Great tip tartan! Thanks.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the link. I particularly like the concept for border measuring/marking. I'm a hand quilter but could certainly see usefulness here. Not sure about the golden threads paper...I usually use plastic stencils and mark as I go but I can see using maybe freezer/wax paper to work out the corners/borders a bit more easily for repeating patterns.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:08 PM

I don't recall who posted the reply,(thank you thank you) but I found that the suggestion of using painters blue tape for straight lines across a block or qult (after using the basting spray) works very well for me! Otherwise, I will use the Clover white pen that disappears when ironed.