Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about mitered corners! Help!! >

Question about mitered corners! Help!!

Question about mitered corners! Help!!

Old 02-02-2014, 08:17 AM

Default Question about mitered corners! Help!!

I have only done one quilt with mitered borders and I did each border of a multi-border separately. I was just watching a video tute and it said to sew all borders together first.

I can see where that would probably be easier on the mitred part ~ but how to do the math? Just figure your first border, then use those measurements to figure 2nd border, then use those to measure 3rd border?

Then when sewing borders together, would you stop 1/4" before the end on each one?

I guess I am trying to do this in my mind, and I am not sure it is working!!!!

Thanks for all your input!
Tonya
Old 02-02-2014, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

I would carefully figure out what the length of the outside border would be and add a few more inches. Make sure that each border is measured accurately and is stitched to that determined length. This is the place where MOST wonky borders occur.

I always had one corner off a tad so I would measure, baste, press and see if it was accurate. I used my 15" ruler and a couple of 24" ones to make sure everything lined up correctly. Once I was assured that every piece was correct, I would then do a normal stitch and then carefully trim the access. I didn't cut as close as a 1/4 seam and I press that seam open. I know that there was a F&P show that Porter did a quilt with like 5 or 6 strips sewn together for a border using the reproduction solids. Sorry, I can remember the pattern!!

PS. If you have sewn all your strips together, you treat it like one piece of fabric. You will need to be careful in making sure all your fabric seams line up correctly with the other seam on border you are attaching it too.

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 02-02-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:48 AM

Thanks for answering ManiacQuilter! So you would actually use the length of the longest border and use that for all 3 borders, correct? That sounds much easier!!!!
Old 02-02-2014, 08:53 AM

I would definitely use the same length for all the borders. I think it makes things much easier to work with and easier to line up when doing the actual mitre. Remember you'll need a good bit more length for all of your borders (tops/bottoms/sides) than you would normally use.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nonda View Post
Thanks for answering ManiacQuilter! So you would actually use the length of the longest border and use that for all 3 borders, correct? That sounds much easier!!!!
Yes, that is what I did when I first started. It is easier to work with one section of fabric for your miter border. When you become better and more confident, then you can start shortening the lengths. My motto is Keep It Simple Stupid referring to me !! Good Luck !! Take your time, don't rush yourself !!
Old 02-02-2014, 08:54 AM

See if any of these help...good luck.

http://www.fonsandporter.com/content...rders_8744.pdf
http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/how-to...tering-borders
http://www.amandamurphydesign.com/Mi...r_Tutorial.pdf
Old 02-02-2014, 08:57 AM

Thanks everyone! Off to do some math
Old 02-02-2014, 09:25 AM

The math isn't really that impossible. For example, if your border is a 3 part one.... maybe 1", 2", 3".... just add the amounts together and add twice that amount to the length of your border (once you have stitched the 3 parts together). Remember.... when putting the side borders on, it will be a border's width longer at the top and bottom. And, I always add about 4" more just to be on the safe side. Since I use my scraps for applique, I never have any waste.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

Let me tell you what I did. I had a large quilt top that needed mitered borders. I made a quarter square triangle big enough to lay the quilt top on top of with the size of the border needed extra. I glue basted the quilt top edges under and then stitched in place. I squared it all up and had instant mitered borders. I left the excess fabric behind the quilt as I wanted to add trapunto but it could be cut out and reused. I wanted easy and fast with accurate results. Not many will understand using that much fabric but that's just the way I am. I have fabric and I'm not afraid of using it. LOL
Old 02-02-2014, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Let me tell you what I did. I had a large quilt top that needed mitered borders. I made a quarter square triangle big enough to lay the quilt top on top of with the size of the border needed extra. I glue basted the quilt top edges under and then stitched in place. I squared it all up and had instant mitered borders. I left the excess fabric behind the quilt as I wanted to add trapunto but it could be cut out and reused. I wanted easy and fast with accurate results. Not many will understand using that much fabric but that's just the way I am. I have fabric and I'm not afraid of using it. LOL
Great idea