Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slider ... yea, nay or no difference >

Slider ... yea, nay or no difference

Slider ... yea, nay or no difference

Old 02-05-2014, 07:22 AM

I have a forty year old Pfaff that has a slightly bumpy surface so trying to FMQ was difficult, like it grabbed onto the fabric. I used the slider and it made all the difference. I never had it roll up or anything. Once in a while I run it under the faucet to remove all the dust and thread puke and it holds just fine. Even now, years later, because of the surface of the machine, I need the slider. I think it's awesome.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:30 AM

I LOVE my slider! It is worth every penny.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:00 AM

I, too, did not want to spend the money. I took a plastic cutting board (Wal-Mart), cut a hole in it for the needle. When I want to fmq, I use blue masking tape to tape it to the machine. It works great!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:13 AM

WOW! What a variance of opinions! I was hoping for something definitive one way or the other. I still don't know whether to get one or not. I have wasted so much fabric and time that I am nearly ready to admit that I just can't be good at everything (wait! .... did I just say that?!?!?) Seriously, though, while I have been able to pick up my piecing skills with the help of my wonderful local group and all the tips and help I get from all of you on this Board, I don't think I'll ever make it to the Carnagie Hall of FMQ no matter how much I practice, practice, practice. I just wanted to know whether this one last aid might do the trick, but it seems that there is no magic pill for this any more than there is for dieting. LOL! Thanks to all of you who took the time to answer my question. Happy quilting .... I guess my LA will be getting more business from me.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:08 AM

so glad to have read this thread on the slider ... I have one, used it for a small project with no probs, but now will be sure to tape it down for a quilt!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:19 AM

I fmq for many years without any sliding aids so I'm thinking something else is going on. Do you have a friend who can watch you and offer suggestions? Are you supporting the weight of the quilt? Do you starch the top and backing so it's nearly as stiff as paper?
Are you guiding,not pushing or pulling the quilt? Is it basted properly?
Are you using the right needle?
I think you should take a break, watch a few utube videos and and then relax take it slow . It does take practice. So start with a small practice piece.
Good luck
Cindy
Old 02-05-2014, 03:09 PM

I like my slider when I remember to use it. Misplaced the first one and bought another. Now have two and hope to get some good practice time in this next week or so.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:18 PM

I have the sliders and they are nice. I also use vinyl that I buy from walmart. It is nice and wide by the yard and I put it on my machine and the table that I quilt on. Make a little hole where the needle goes through and tape the vinyl down. It makes for a slippery surface and the quilt slides so much nicer and your arms don't get tired trying to control that weight. Hope this helps with your problem. Suzy
Old 02-05-2014, 04:41 PM

I use the supreme slider and I love it until it slips and I sew through it. That is just my fault though, not the product's. I love it, it's pricey but it helped me. I was told by a salesperson at Lowes where I bought the silicone spray to be very careful. It has carcinogens that cause cancer so although I bought it I never have used it. After sewing through the silicone slider I cut the remainders into the size of index cards and it worked well even with that small part.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:07 PM

I bought one and tried using it just once. It would not stay put and it was a Big bother and I could not see any difference, so I would say they are a big waste of money!