Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You Can Do This ! >

You Can Do This !

You Can Do This !

Old 02-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Thank you, I believe you have summed up the way to have fun when quilting and why we do what we do. Some of my quilts are quite beautiful and hopefully treasured; the majority though are quilts made with love, not necessarily perfect, but hopefully used and treasured by the recipient. I quilt because it gives me joy and it's definitely cheaper than therapy, especially when buying fabric. LOL.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:07 PM

I don't post much as you can see. It I read and learn so much from this board! Thank you all. Your story and post is right on! I love LaLa!
Old 02-05-2014, 02:18 PM

Thanks for your story. We should all look at our quilts as learning experiance. I love this hobby also. I cannot stay away from it. Happy sewing for 2014.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:01 PM

A woman after my own heart! froggyintexas
Old 02-05-2014, 05:07 PM

This is a great post! Quilting is so much more fun if you can relax and enjoy it. None of my quilts are anywhere near perfect but as you said, the recipients love them!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:15 PM

Love, love, love this post! If I was perfect, I'd be making perfect quilts. Since I'm not, my quilts aren't either and that's okay with me! It's about the journey.......the destination is the icing on the cake! The variety in quilting is so much fun. There are never two quilts/projects that are quite the same........just like all of us!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:46 PM

Thanks for such a wonderful heartfelt post, you certainly brightened up my day or should I say night. I havent been able to sew all week & been down about it but running myself ragged elsewhere. I was looking forward to sewing tomorrow BUT grand kids are coming so another day of no sewing but your post will give me a lot to think about when I do get to walk into my creating room. TYVM
Old 02-05-2014, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
There's a pride in workmanship, making your own fabric and design decisions (however simple) that I don't think you can get by fusing pre-fused pre-cuts to a wallhanging. Even DH, who is not a quilter but has paid for an awful lot of fabric, says, "where's the sport in that?"
I DO agree with what you said there ! I can walk into our garage, pop the hood on the truck and check the oil, but that does not make me a mechanic ! What it does do is get my feet wet so to speak. By learning to do something super simple, such as checking the oil, or in quilting words, ironing on pre-fused precuts, it may just give me the confidence to try something a little harder next time.

I agree wholeheartedly that the " everything is done for you except the ironing " kits are not something I would personally pay for, or do. I like to have far more control over things than that. BUT, if by purchasing and completing one of those kits inspires someone else to try something new, then I think they are fantastic ! I think of them as a stepping stone, not the final destination !
Old 02-05-2014, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
So remember, YOU CAN DO THIS ! Even if you have to fake it !
I have to laugh at this part because like most women, we have been faking it for years and no one knows the difference. I don't know about the guys here but I'm sure they have had to fake a few things as well.

Yes, I whole heartily agree with you and your attitude.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
I agree wholeheartedly that the " everything is done for you except the ironing " kits are not something I would personally pay for, or do. I like to have far more control over things than that. BUT, if by purchasing and completing one of those kits inspires someone else to try something new, then I think they are fantastic ! I think of them as a stepping stone, not the final destination !
Good point.

hugs,
Charlotte