Wilcox and Gibbs

Old 02-06-2014, 03:35 PM

Default Wilcox and Gibbs

I think I have caught the vintage machine bug. There is a local auction going on for an antique Wilcox and Gibbs machine. I need it. It says it is from the late 1800's. It is a treadle in a cabinet with a coffin top. (is that what it is called) The cabinet looks good and has 3 drawers on the right side. Right now I know the price is good $29. There are 2 days left so I know the price will go crazy. Any idea of the value of this machine. It is so cute, I really need it. Thanks
Old 02-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Banned

$1 billion dollars..... or $29 Somewhere in that range..

Condition, Completeness, scarcity of options, decals, etc all effect the price. I paid $300 for my 1870's machine, but I also know it's entire ownership history (I'm the third owner, second home)
Old 02-06-2014, 05:41 PM

SteveH may know how to tell a rare one from a non-rare one. I can't and neither can most sellers. But the coffin top cabinet does place it a bit earlier than a flip top treadle, or one with an electric motor. I've given up trying to get sellers to come down in price because their "really rare, from 1857" machine with a built on motor - isn't from 1857 no matter what some joker told them about the serial number. (BTW, the last patent date on this one is 83. . .)

I think a lot of novices get fooled by the look, and assume it must be really old and worth lots - but that may not be the case. the collector book I have says the style of the machine changed very little from the 1860-1870's up until they quit making them completely in 1946. This includes the patent dates on the stitch plate.

Oh my, I just searched eBay and there are several new listings for 1883 Willcox & Gibbs. One even says "post civil war era" and then goes on to say even the foot pedal (electric of course) is original Willcox & Gibbs. Well, I guess 1910-1920 is post civil war . . . though based on the foot pedal design, this one is newer than that.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:10 PM

SEarch ebay for closed auctions and the prices that were paid.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:05 AM

Good luck! Are you going to the retreat in March? See you there!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Banned

Ok, With W&G's there is really only three categorties

Early - Glass tension mechanism (Rare - worth a bunch)
Automatic - Non-adjustable automatic tension (no glass, common as hen's teeth but sell well because of the crazy ornate treadles)
Electric - Could be portable or desk. They sell for about 1/2 of the treadles

of course there were (like all other machines that were popular) licensed copies ans well as knockoffs

And they made them much later than that for the industrial market (up to the 60's)

and I have to add that they are THE most silent machines ever.... no adjustments of any kind on the "automatics" They sew very smoothly with a beautiful locking chainstitch
Old 02-07-2014, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I knew you would come thru with some info. I have been trying to post pictures but can't get it to work. Not sure why because I know how to do it. The machine is now $31. I am sure the price will go way up.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:17 PM

I saw one in a store in Prescott, a hundred miles from home. A few months later, we went back to Prescott and I took along some cash, just in case, because it was still on my mind. I brought home my cute little treadle machine and it's the cutest one I have. Like Steve said, it's soooo quiet.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 02-07-2014, 07:26 PM

that is a nice treadle you have there, Lyncat.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:21 AM

To me that looks like the one i am looking at. I don't know a lot about the vintage machines. I am working on learning. I have been lurking on the vintage area here on the board for ages