Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Bel Air Bantam Sewing Machine Value and Info? >

Bel Air Bantam Sewing Machine Value and Info?

Bel Air Bantam Sewing Machine Value and Info?

Old 02-06-2014, 01:01 PM

Default Bel Air Bantam Sewing Machine Value and Info?

Hi, thanks for your time in reading this. I'm selling 2 antique sewing machines for my mom and am hoping I can find more info on them to make sure I get her a fair value.

Can you please tell me the year and approximate value of this machine?

Bel Air Bantam (made in occupied Japan). Working machine, includes case and foot petal (missing small plate near needle). Paint and lettering are in good shape, slight scratches on letters on top. #B5250374A.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]460835[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]460838[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]460839[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1010910.jpg   p1010911.jpg   p1010912.jpg  
Old 02-06-2014, 01:29 PM

There is a near perfect one on eBay - seller can't get any takers at $100 (has timed out a few times already).

Another BelAir full size sold for $50, but that one was also in very nice condition. Shipping adds about $30, but you'll normally get 50% or more less on craigslist than they sell for on eBay, so that offsets.

That missing plate could be a real kicker, and will take $25- $50 off the price (seriously) - unless you find someone that needs one for parts. If a Singer plate will fit, then maybe $15-$20 less.

But sometimes you get lucky and get a sucker that has no clue just how hard replacement plates can be to find - or what they cost if they are obtainable. But I'd still say $25-$50 max (for a sucker).

This is just my opinion, we'll see if everyone else thinks I'm full of hot air LOL!!

Last edited by Macybaby; 02-06-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:46 PM
Banned

FYI - I believe that the Bel-air Bantam is aluminum....
Old 02-06-2014, 01:48 PM

Dave,

No arguments with what Cathy said .... except about the slide plate.

The Bel Air Bantam is a clone of the Singer 99K10. It is an aluminum 3/4 size machine and as such is more desirable to some people than the cast iron version.

I have one badged as a SEWMOR 303 and I didn't pay more than$50.00 for it, shipping included.

The slide plate can be had from Sew-Classic { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/ } for less than $10.00.

Joe
Old 02-06-2014, 01:53 PM

Value is completely subjective. I don't answer value questions as it really depends on many factors. Check sold or closed auctions via ebay to get an idea of what people have paid and then lower that considerably to sell it via Craigs List.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:57 PM

glad to hear the slide plates can be had - that is always a big question when they are missing.

it really is a cute little machine!
Old 02-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Banned

It is the same machine type we sent to Afghanistan for my Student and his unit to repair uniforms and harnesses.

We set it up with a handcrank and motor both at the same time.

It is now the property of the local Afghan police department (donated when my students unit withdrew from the region)
Old 02-06-2014, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the info, it's appreciated!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:45 PM

Since I started buying vintage machines I get asked the question on value a lot. I feel the same as Candace. After awhile of this I came up with my very own answer that keeps me in neutral territory to any questions on value:

Your machine will be worth what you get for it the day you sell it.

I answer this way because there are so many variables that affect prices, supply and demand, quality, condition, make, rarity, timing. Sometimes you sell an item just when someone is looking for it, the list goes on and if a prospective buyer really really wants it. I had a woman drive inland from the coast two weeks ago 200 miles total one way over a mountain range with narrow twisty roads in bad weather and spend the night in a hotel in a town 40 minutes away from me and then drive down interstate 35 minutes the next morning to pick up a darling little Necchi cabinet and matching chair for her Necchi. I asked $60.00. She spent a lot in total to get that little cabinet. Must have been a great value to her but it sat on CL for awhile...
Old 02-06-2014, 06:01 PM

It's interesting how some feel the old machines have no more value than to be a lawn ornament or boat anchor. Others think mother's sold machine is an antique of considerable value. When one becomes more knowledgeable they realize the value is somewhere in between those extremes - determined only by what a buyer is willing to pay or how willing a seller is to part with it. When both buyer and seller are happy, that is the appropriate price.