Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
!!!Stupid Question Alert!!   Washing quilts before a entering in a show >

!!!Stupid Question Alert!! Washing quilts before a entering in a show

!!!Stupid Question Alert!! Washing quilts before a entering in a show

Old 02-20-2014, 02:52 AM

Our guild just had the first of seveal quilt show board meeting Monday nite. This very question came up, so here is what was said--short version.
They have to be clean and odor-free. If there are any odors--smoke smell from cigarettes was the main one, it can be removed from Odor Eaters. That and hanging out on a nice sunny day--backing side up.
We made the rule that there will be signs up advising entries that they have to be clean, and odor-free.
You can't imagine some of the messes we got at the show a few years ago; cat hair all over it, a dirty-house smell, ect, ect.
We are having to turn ourselves into the 'cops' for quilts being "pristine."
Mariah
Old 02-20-2014, 03:51 AM

I always have my quilts dry cleaned before I enter them in a show. I have lots of air bags to put all my quilts in. Never do I leave them out in the open except the ones I use everyday.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

If I was a judge, I would want to handle a clean item.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:20 PM
pw6

me either as you would lose the sizing in the fabric. would not have that fresh crisp look I would think
Old 02-20-2014, 02:57 PM

It all depends on the category you place your quilt into. Most quilt show people do not wash their fabric. If you have a section for antique quilts, of course they have been washed. Sorry, to step on any toes but my exp. is that most quilt shows are very biased. But its nice to have others see my quilts and a picture of them hanging there even if I don't place.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

First the answer is NO, you should not wash your quilt before entering unless something has happened. I always used Clover slim line chalk (on my borders) or used a disappearing purple marker. You want your quilt to look like it is brand NEW, not crinkle or used when washed. Make sure to meet the requirements in the quilt show you are entering. Different shows have minimum requirements for the hanging sleeves. Some have requirements on the quilt label that it includes your address. Be sure to read the FINE print, that you have all your Ts crossed and all your Is dotted. Good Luck !!