Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern needed for two colors only >

Pattern needed for two colors only

Pattern needed for two colors only

Old 02-25-2014, 03:34 AM

Lightbulb Pattern needed for two colors only

Good Morning: Can’t think of a better place to go for advise then this board. My granddaughter has been accepted to SJU their colors are you guessed Red and White – this is going to be her first time away from home. I thought that she can take a piece of comfort from home with her if she was to take her comforter which she has named “cloud” and has had for years. So I thought why not make her a duvet with the school colors and she can still take comfort when she is wrapped in her cloud. Can you suggest a pattern that would have two colors? Thank you in advance for any and all help.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:41 AM

The first thing that came to my mind was a disappearing 4 patch.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:41 AM

Good Morning! You might take a look at Eleanor Burns Day and Night. I made it with 2 colors and loved it. You could also just google 2 colored quilts and see what you find. Pinterest is a good place to look too. Have fun, one day I want to make a red and white quilt myself.

AngelaZ
Old 02-25-2014, 03:52 AM

I have also been impressed with night and day - have you considered drunkards path or maybe a sampler in red and white? Irish chain? Love the idea about googling images and pinterest also.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:54 AM

Other ideas how about hst's done in shades of red (or a sing red if you prefer) and white then set in a spiral? Or a log cabin also shades of red and white. Or find your favorite star block make them all the same in red and white.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:59 AM

I think red & white bear paw & irish chain quilts are pretty.

One thought. I'm not very fond of my down comforter duvet cover because it makes it very heavy and also hot. I would stay with something simple that minimizes the piecing to reduce the weight & maybe use a very fine cotton sheet for one side to help further reduce it.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:01 AM

Snails trail
Old 02-25-2014, 04:04 AM

Much depends on your grand-daughters tastes too...do they lean toward traditional, shabby chic, vintage, modern? That's important to know bc you want the duvet to reflect her style as much as possible.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:30 AM

Is there a team mascot that someone could do an embroidery design for a middle square? That might look nice with the school colors around. Years ago, I did a counted cross-stitch design of UW Bucky Badger, yet he was red on a white background. The patches were alternating red and white around him. That was years before I quilted.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:45 AM

Some schools use other colors with their regular colors. My grandchildren's school colors are red and white but many of their items use either black or gray with the red and white. For the older one's graduation quilt, I made a "controlled scrappy" with reds, whites, and grays/blacks. The red and white theme still comes across but the blacks and grays give it interest and character. His sister is a senior and the quilt is still not begun. She wants to use her tee shirts from all of her activities, so this one may have to wait until after graduation. BTW, their college of choice uses the same colors.