Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cat in the store? >

Cat in the store?

Cat in the store?

Old 02-26-2014, 01:58 PM

Default Cat in the store?

I finally found a quilt store that's not too far from me. It's 28 min so it's still kinda far but not too bad. Anyway... I'm so sad because my hubby is so allergic to cats and they have a cat in the store who lays all over the cutting table! If I bought fabric there I couldn't bring it in the house . I'm so bummed. And they were really nice in there too. Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them? I mean... I've never heard of having a cat in a quilt store before!
Old 02-26-2014, 02:02 PM

My LQS has a very well behaved small dog that doesn't crawl on the cutting table. I haven't heard anyone say anything about it. I am very allergic to cats and having a cat in the store would be a deal breaker for me too. Anyone that loves their cat is probably willing to lose customers over this. I am sorry for you.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:06 PM

I visited one in Albuquerque a few years ago that had at least one and possibly 2-3 cats in the store. Pretty much the same situation with the cat(s) laying wherever they wanted. For me, not an issue - no allergies here. But I could see where others could have some significant problems. I've been in other types of establishments with dogs in them as well. Again, no issue for me but I can see where it could be a problem for those with allergies. Perhaps the business owners that do have animals in their establishments could post that visible from the outside so those folks that have allergies would be aware before walking in and possibly having a major health issue.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:14 PM

I have seen a (one) I. A book store. But not in a quilt shop. We have
Stella and she pretty much lays where she eases EXCEPT on my kitchen counters
And she is also not allowed on any dining tables. Stella a sweetheart
And knows the rules.
I can see issues with a cat in my LQS and I love most cats

Judy in Phx,AZ
Old 02-26-2014, 02:29 PM

I am not allergic to cats and love them soooo much,BUT, I don't think it is nice to have them or even dogs in a store. Even if I am not allergic, I don't want pets hair to be on my fabric or for the people who make customers quilts to have pets' hair on their quilts.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:51 PM

What a shame. I used to be highly allergic to the plastic flea collars and powder people used on their cats before the flea drops. Since you aren't allergic, maybe you could visit every once and a while to look at the fabric lines, then purchase somewhere else online. Not ideal for the store or you but, you may get some happy moments wandering when you are in the vicinity.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:53 PM

Last fall we went to Hilton Head and Savannah. We took our Pommie, Toby Bean, with us. We visited a small quilt shop in Garden City called Sew Much More. It was "pet friendly" and the ladies all swooned over my old man! Interesting too that the Home Goods store in Hilton Head was pet friendly also!

I know that I think cats and quilts go together but the number of people allergic to cats far outnumbers the number of people who are allergic to dogs.

There are some hypoallergenic cat breeds but they come with a hefty price tag!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 02-26-2014, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

​I wouldn't like it myself and I am not allergic. Cats and dog could have fleas and fabric would be a perfect breeding spot.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:11 PM

There are a few breeds of hypoallergenic cats. I can only remember the hairless cats, but there area few more.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

I like cats but can only enjoy them out of doors, and then I have to come in and wash my hands thoroughly before I touch my face or else my allergies will take over. My husband is even more allergic. Even if we didn't have the allergies, I would not shop in a store where cats were allowed on the fabric or on the cutting table. Store owners who allow this either don't realize that they are losing business, or don't care because they love their cats more than their sneezing customers.

There is a sewing group near me that several of us no longer attend, because several of the guests bring their small dogs, and they are allowed to run free during the sewing sessions. One of the ladies who no longer attends is very allergic, and the rest of us just don't want the pet hair or the aggravation of dealing with the romping dogs.