Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cat in the store? >

Cat in the store?

Cat in the store?

Old 02-27-2014, 06:29 AM

We have had a couple of stores in the area that have cats. I am also allergic and had signed up for a class at one shop not realizing they had a resident cat - ended up cutting the class short. However I will say that any that I went into with cats I never saw them laying on the cutting tables or fabric.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:38 AM

She looks like my Minnie. Minnie, however, does not like it when I sew. Takes attention away from her I guess. But she is not the boss when I want to sew. lol
Old 02-27-2014, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
My local Bernina store has a rescued 3 legged cat greeter. Love it.
i love it too!!!!
Old 02-27-2014, 06:50 AM

Maybe those stores have a mouse problem, we don't know how many stores leave cats in the store overnight but not in the day.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:55 AM

I know of a quilt shop in S. Carolina that is called Deb's Cats and Quilts, and yes there are cats there. I am allergic to cats, BUT I feel it is the business owners choice if they want to have their pets in THEIR stores, just as it is your choice whether to shop there or not. After all it still is a free country.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:00 AM

I agree with the majority on this issue. Pets do not belong in a business period!! I have 2 cats & 1 dog myself. People with allergies do suffer so much! Most people with animals consider them as their children so I can see they would want them nearby but this is not good for business!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SB13 View Post
I know of a quilt shop in S. Carolina that is called Deb's Cats and Quilts, and yes there are cats there. I am allergic to cats, BUT I feel it is the business owners choice if they want to have their pets in THEIR stores, just as it is your choice whether to shop there or not. After all it still is a free country.
I think too many forget it is the owner's store. I have a problem with people who say No you can't do that because it bothers me. Don't spend your money there and tell them why and then leave them alone.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

I used to stop at a book store to visit the cat. - because the cat liked me, too.

As far as animals in stores - perhaps a sign on the door ( and on web site ) would be a good thing. So thatthose that are bothered by them could svoid them.

As much as I dislike smoking, I think a privately owned enterprise should be allowed to permit smoking - as long as one is warned before entering.

As long as the animals are healthy ( non - contagious) and free of riders (fleas, etc.) - they are probably less hazardous to thhe general public than someone coming doown with a cold orr the flu.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:29 AM

Three of the five quilt stores I frequent have either a cat or dog, not a problem to me. I think it adds to the character of the store. So many business owners spend far more time at their store than at their home. They should have their "comforts of home" where they spend their most time.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
As long as the animals are healthy ( non - contagious) and free of riders (fleas, etc.) - they are probably less hazardous to thhe general public than someone coming doown with a cold orr the flu.
that's a good point. Kids in the stores with koolaid mustaches and cheeto hands and snot constantly running from their noses. Children grab, pull, rub, wipe, drool, chew/eat, mix up the threads in the rack, break bead hanks, eat things and create havoc equal only to the Honey Badger. A parent solution? Give them food to snack on! aye, yi, yi.

It is OK to be honest, children are disease factories while they develop immune systems. And it seems like mothers today think it's a good thing to drag kids to fabric and yarn stores. My mother did not take us out in public until she had a reasonable expectation we would be decent.

Yes, I love kids, even have them, but that doesn't mean I think they should be in every store either.