Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cat in the store? >

Cat in the store?

Cat in the store?

Old 02-27-2014, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029 View Post
Since I have cats, I don't mind them behaving themselves in a store. Same with a dog, if it is behaving and not causing a disruption to me, I can handle it. Hair on fabric? Guess I better never be in any more swaps because as much as we may try, there is always some hair that gets on blocks.

What I do have a problem with is having a dog in the grocery store or in restaurants. It seems that some people think you should "like" their animals and not care they are touching the dog then the packages of food or fruits, etc.

If I see a pet in a store, it's my choice to go in or not (or leave if I discover them later)...however, it's not my choice to have a dog at the restaurant table next to me once I've started eating .
My other half works for Meijer, which is a large, family owned grocery store/box store chain with stores in 6 states. It is against their policy for customers to bring their dogs into the store. Just because they fit in your purse, doesn't mean it is okay. It is a health code violation. People get very rude when they are caught and told that they can't bring their NON-SERVICE dogs inside the store because of the health code. The customers will yell, curse and cause a huge scene. I love my little dogs and they go almost everywhere with me but I also have common sense and have no desire to put a merchant in a situation that could result in violations or fines. As for dogs in a resteraunt, I have no desire to have them at the table next to me. When we are on vacation, we call ahead to find out if a resteraunt us pet friendly and always ask for outdoor seating. Of course, I've always thought resteraunts should have a child free section too.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:11 AM

My LQS has a golden retriever in the store. The dog is very well behaved. I love dogs but I don't think an LQS is the place to have a dog
Old 02-27-2014, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

I have been to a quilt shop with a cat. They had a sign on the door to watch for him/her. I never did see the cat and asked about it and they told me he was around somewhere. There used to be a boutique in Vermont that had a resident cat and I would be thrilled whenever I saw him. The place was ALWAYS packed with shoppers and there were usually 3 or 4 people gathered around the ginger tabby cat giving him loves and pets. Sometimes you had to stand in line to wait your turn to love on him! So I doubt the shop cat had very little negative impact on their revenue, in fact I would hazard to guess the impact was more positive. I ended up purchasing a little something just because of the cat. I rather enjoy walking into places of business that have pets there, dogs cats, parrots, whatever. As long as they are friendly I find it a welcoming and charming experience. There is a window place in Albany that the owner's two shelties are greeters. It really made shopping there a pleasure for me. My old auto mechanic always had his GSD there with him and I always asked to see her every time I went. Most people who are allergic are allergic to dander. So if the owners are diligent about grooming many allergy sufferers won't even have a reaction. BTW the quilt shop in NY with the cat that I never saw, there was no hair on the fabric. I think it is charming. Now fragrances is another matter all together and I applaud shops that ask people wearing way too much to leave. Most fragrances cause me difficulty in breathing.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 02-27-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:24 AM

Nothing like finding cat hair in my food or on my fabric! That would be a deal breaker for me and I don't have any allergies.

My dog is the non-allergenic kind and doesn't shed so no problems. She only comes into my sewing room if i carry her in and put her on a blanket...otherwise she sits at the doorway on the carpet. Flooring is too slippery for her liking.

I'd stick with a fabric store that has no animals roaming around. Same with cig smoke....that's worse than animals in the store in my opinion.

How do they deal with the cat box odor permeating the store?
Old 02-27-2014, 05:41 AM

I'm not allergic but I fail to see why a business owner selling something such as fabric would ever think it is okay to have a pet of any kind in the store. I would think the only animal allowed would be a service animal. Just common sense in my opinion. A lot of people are either allergic or are not animal lovers. I certainly don't want pet hair on my fabric before I even bring it home!!
Old 02-27-2014, 06:06 AM

I understand your frustration. We have a dear friend who was not able to visit our home for 15 years, because of his severe cat allergy and our two hairballs.

I do not mind animals in places of business as long as the are well behaved and clean. I would very much mind cats on tables, animals lying on furniture for sale, litter box odour, and overly aggressive behavior.

My hairdresser has a little canine fuzzball. Cute and a bit yappy but she has no problem putting it in another room if a customer requests.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:13 AM

IMHO NO pets should be allowed in any store. It is almost impossible to get pet hairs off anything! any pet hair or dander can be dangerous to anyone who has allergies. you never know who will come in contact with your quilt. My daughter has 3 short hair dogs and their hair is always on everthing especially my clothes ven if the pet is well behaved their hair/dander is in the store and can take years to get completely rid of. Store owners should keep their pets at home!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2014, 06:17 AM

Yes, I have seen cats many times and dogs and even a bird once.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:18 AM

My local Bernina store has a rescued 3 legged cat greeter. Love it.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:24 AM

I noticed that Project Linus website has this notice: "...Coordinators must be non-smokers and live and store blankets in a smoke free environment. Project Linus blankets must be of excellent quality and free from contaminants. Special care should be taken to ensure that blankets are free of smoky smells or any chemicals which could cause problems for a child. Ensure that blankets are free of pet or animal hair. Hospitals will not accept these blankets, and they will most likely be discarded. Recent studies show that laundering these blankets does not remove contamination, and in some cases can even make it worse. Always check blankets carefully for pins, and remove any embellishments such as buttons that could be swallowed."
I do wash finished items for donation, but don't always wash fabric before using it. I'm not allergic, but now that we don't have cats any more, I don't have hair all over my house and would not it on my new fabric. Two local quilt shops here have resident dogs, one is a hairless shar-pei, and the other is an elderly golden retriever. I enjoy both, but frankly I think pets are better kept at home, not in a retail store. My mother was very allergic to cats and once we went into a thrift shop that had two extremely furry long-hair cats that slept all over the merchandise. We had to leave right away as she got all itchy just going in there.