Featherweight Machines Prices

Old 02-28-2014, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

The one thing I like about the Featherweight is their make up and durability. I have one that I have used for about 5 years and I do all my piecing and some of my FMQ on it. I have used it at least 5 times a week and they remind me of the Energizer battery bunny. It just keeps on going and going and going. I rarely if ever have a problem with it and if I do it is soooo easy to repair. My DH has been able to the maintenance and repair work (i.e. tension, belts, etc.)
I wouldn't part with mine for $300. The most expensive one I have ever seen sell on e-Bay sold for $1,200. It was Valentines day two years ago (I think) I couldn't believe it. Another thing these little machines have going for them is their weight. They are so easy to take to classes and quilt guilds. If you can pick up a 10 lb bag of sugar, you have almost the same weight as a Featherweight. Thus the name.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:42 AM

Every one has their own reasons for wanting a FW. I had four, sitting around not being used at all (one is a 1936, my birth year with the lady's stuff, sewing lessons, the book, all her bobbins, various left over pieces of sewing add-ons to a pattern) one that was given to me by the person who gave my daughter sewing lessons when she was 13; and two that I was lucky enough to find in good shape for a good price. Then I got it in my head that I wanted a purple one (or red) (or blue), so have been looking for one that worked but didn't look so good. DH and I went on a road trip a few weeks ago, and stopping and looking in antique shops, HE found one and paid the full price asked ($275 plus tax) for it (I would not have, but he was thinking of my birthday). It is a 1941, and I have it cleaned up and running, and won't be getting it painted. I LOVE IT, and have a quilt started on it (piecing, only). If only I could make myself quit reading everyone's items on this board today......

Anyway, I love FWs, and 301s too for piecing. I don't belong to a guild, so showing mine off is once a year at FCE Retreats. I always take the quilting/piecing class that someone will be teaching, and we always do our share of oooohing and aaaahing over each other's machines.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:18 AM

I got one several years ago when I first started back quilting/sewing on a regular basis. Paid "too much"(?) for it but have no regrets. It had been completely serviced/refurbished and only maintenance it has required has been cleaning and oiling, and finding out how the foot feed pedal should go back together after it developed a minor problem. I use it almost daily if I'm home and find it perfect for my needs. I also have several other machines, but "Sewfie" is my favorite. Had looked at some new machines with more bells and whistles and discovered that anything in my desired price range was of very similar actual throat size and for various other reasons did not seem worth it to me. And at this point in time I'm not willing to spend mega bucks to get a really big one. My priorities could change, but that's me for now.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Sunflowerzz,

I have two SEWMOR machines that are 3/4 size and made from aluminum rather than iron. They weigh less than a FW, sew better with stronger motors, and have more room under the arch. I guess I'm a dunce, I just don't see the great love for the FW's.
They are OK, but are not worth what most think they are.

J e
I have a Sewmor, don't like it. Room under the arch isn't a factor for me with a featherweight, as it will be used for piecing mostly so don't need the room, neither is power because I wouldn't use the FW for anything large, bulky or heavy. I have some great old iron ladies and some Japanese machines that can do that. The featherweight is a tote-able, go to classes easily and be a mobile go anywhere easily machine.

Much like a laptop is used instead of trying to lug around a desktop computer. Just saying...
Old 02-28-2014, 05:24 PM

The 301's have gotten more expensive also. The price has tripled in the last few months.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:02 PM

I like the fw because it's easy to carry but it's so slow I don't really like to use it.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:03 PM

I have one. I love it for piecing. I wanted it, I saved for it and I paid a reasonable "going rate" that I was happy with. My other machines don't chain piece worth a darn and my FW just charges through. I don't use it for mending but I have a solid Kenmore plastic 1990's wonder for that that gets the job done with minimum fuss.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by cindynvb View Post
I like the fw because it's easy to carry but it's so slow I don't really like to use it.
I would check the foot pedal. I read about slow FW problems in a book all about FW's called: Featherweight 221 - The Perfect Portable: And Its Stitches Across History, Expanded, Edition 3
by Nancy Johnson Srebro She said most of the time it is the foot pedal because these machines usually purr right along and are not usually labeled as slow.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I still think that they bounce all over the table and can't handle heavy fabrics.

~ Cindy

Why is a FW bouncing all over you're table? What are you sewing it? Maybe you should buy some new feet that are newer rubber and keep it "stuck" in place. Just got some from sew classic and they were at my house in just a few days. Although, I still don't have a bouncing FW problem, and I've owned 4 in the last couple of years.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rann View Post
the 301's have gotten more expensive also. The price has tripled in the last few months.
where???????