Featherweight Machines Prices

Old 02-27-2014, 09:31 AM

I regularly see them for $350 - $450 locally on craigslist. That has not changed much in the last few years. What has gone up is the price of 301s, I see them now mostly $150-$250. I have 2 FW and love to sew on them but no way would I pay that much. I watched for about 6 months and got my black one for $150. Later I got my purple one for $140 but I was lucky, looking late at night when it had just been posted. I also have 3 301s, that I paid $5 - $50 for.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by D Dale View Post
Can anyone tell me why the Singer Featherweight machines are so expensive? Any thoughts?
Lots of good reasons listed here. Desirability would be my first reply. With the current economy I got back into sewing and quilting and doing fun crafts with sewing machines. The thing I dislike the most about vintage is the weight. We are a very mobile country now so having a light weight small package vintage machine to tote around is just way cool. Add cute and desirability and uniqueness and you get the FW's.

The cost isn't really a factor for most quilters who pay thousands for their quilting machines. And we know that the FW's are extremely popular in the quilting guilds. A few hundred seems very reasonable. Add to that the pride you get when walking into a quilting class revealing a FW is just the best feeling. It is a feel good machine. I get a completely different feeling of pride of ownership when I lift the bonnet top off my treadle to reveal a 1888 Singer VS2 with most of it's glorious floral decals intact. Also a different feeling of pride and accomplishment from the first two when I show off my Singer Touch and Sew which most people can't sew with but it just purrs for me. Hope all of the replies have helped to answer your question
Old 02-27-2014, 10:19 AM

They aren't big enough. They are nothing special. They don't stitch any better than any other quality straight stitch machine. They are under powered. But yet there is a cult following for them. Go figure.

My wife has wanted one all her life. Two years ago around her birthday I bought her one. Complete with accessories and good wiring. I paid around .... well less than average then, and was OK with the price.

Now, that poor machine has been cleaned, oiled, tested - by me, and just sits. My wife wanted it sooooo bad, yet now that she's got it .... she don't use it. What can I say?

Joe
Old 02-27-2014, 10:23 AM

Sunflowerzz,

I have two SEWMOR machines that are 3/4 size and made from aluminum rather than iron. They weigh less than a FW, sew better with stronger motors, and have more room under the arch. I guess I'm a dunce, I just don't see the great love for the FW's.
They are OK, but are not worth what most think they are.

J e
Old 02-27-2014, 10:29 AM
Banned

Folks can justify as much as they would like, but if you want a small machine there are better cheaper, if you want a quality machine, there are better cheaper, if you want a cool machine, there are better cheaper.

But Featherweights give recognizable bragging rights...

I am reminded of a line in the movie "Cool Running" (Jamaican bobsled team movie) "Gold medals are great, but if you are not enough without one, you certainly won't be enough with one"
Old 02-27-2014, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
They aren't big enough. They are nothing special. They don't stitch any better than any other quality straight stitch machine. They are under powered. But yet there is a cult following for them. Go figure.

My wife has wanted one all her life. Two years ago around her birthday I bought her one. Complete with accessories and good wiring. I paid around .... well less than average then, and was OK with the price.

Now, that poor machine has been cleaned, oiled, tested - by me, and just sits. My wife wanted it sooooo bad, yet now that she's got it .... she don't use it. What can I say?

Joe
Hi Joe,

Why not sell at a profit if not being used and appreciated, they hold their value well. An FW would have been nice when I took my young daughter to class but since those days are over I don't see any special benefit in owning one over other vintage machines.

Jon
Old 02-27-2014, 11:35 AM

Cause it belongs to his wife.

Joe, I know you had a thread of Sewmors before. Which one is a 3/4 aluminum? One of the things that makes me not as interested in the Featherweight (besides the price) is the motor. It seems so underpowered to me.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:36 AM

And the point that quilters pay thousands for their big fancy machines so the Featherweight is nothing $$$ compared in a good point.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
Cause it belongs to his wife.

Joe, I know you had a thread of Sewmors before. Which one is a 3/4 aluminum? One of the things that makes me not as interested in the Featherweight (besides the price) is the motor. It seems so underpowered to me.
you may want to look at "Bantam" machines. Like a 99 but aluminum. Same machine we shipped to Afghanistan to my student
Old 02-27-2014, 11:52 AM

I also forgot to mention the adorable little case that goes with it..LOL