Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Half Square Triangle question >

Half Square Triangle question

Half Square Triangle question

Old 03-02-2014, 10:39 AM

I swear by bloc loc.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:47 PM

I just remembred another technique. Does anyone remember it? You cut 2 strips of fabrics and sew both long edges then cut the right angles ... and ... you end up with perfect HST's?
Old 03-02-2014, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
I just remembred another technique. Does anyone remember it? You cut 2 strips of fabrics and sew both long edges then cut the right angles ... and ... you end up with perfect HST's?
does that make the squares have bias edges? Those things are my nemesis. I swear no amount of starch can help me.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
I don't do 7/8th inch measurements. I round up to 3 or 5 and then square up the hst to the correct size.
This doesn't need any special rulers. Just KEEP IT SIMPLE !! You don't need to be a rocket scientist to make HST !! I just saw a new ruler to help square it up with a slight ridge to put up against the seam allowance. What next will be invented !!
Old 03-02-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
There are so many rulers out there it is unbelievable.

There are also a few PP products. Thangles is the brand I have used. There are also a few more brands available.

It will also depend on if you are doing HST's from your scraps you might have to do one at a time.
Yes, lots of ways and lots of "tools." Years ago I bought this clear tape that has markings with one directly down the center. This center mark is placed on the bed of the machine with the center mark right under the needle,. I extended the tape as far as I could tape it, even down the front of the machine. I use this marking to guide the point (corner) of the square piece of fabric through until the complete block is stitched right down the middle diagonally. This is probably clear as mud, but it's what I use for HSTs. It doesn't work for larger blocks, but I work up to 5 or 6 inch blocks. I wasn't able to locate the roll of tape but if I ever find it in my lion's den, I'll post it. I would think one could mark that line even with a piece of tape. As long as the eye has something to focus on.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:52 AM

Cut strips a little wider (want 2 1/2 squares, cut strips 3" wide), cut into 3" squares, use product called Stitchin Lines from Marin & Colusa to sew and cut. Iron and use Best Press to make stiff. Cut down with Bloc-Loc ruler. Time consuming but perfect every time!
Old 03-03-2014, 03:53 AM

There is absolutely no difference in cutting a 3-7/8 or 3-1/2, you just have to get your cutting ruler and your mat in sync and it is a breeze. I love HST for quilting. It is exceedingly easy, makes fantastic designs for a quilt. As a matter of fact I am in the process of making three quilts right now and most of them are HST. That is my favorite square to work with. And then I have my Fons and Porter 1/4" diagonal line marking tool, where I use a disappearing ink pen and mark the square and sew down the lines and cut down the middle. It is a lot of fun. Don't let that little 7/8" bother you. Use the marks on a ruler and your mat as a guide , put the two together and you will never have a problem. It really is so darn easy, but until you get how easy it is, I can let you use my fridge magnet that says "Bang Head Here", which I use regularly. Then comes the dawn. Edie
Old 03-03-2014, 04:55 AM

missouri quilt shows a very easy way to make HST
Old 03-03-2014, 05:41 AM

The Jenny Doan way will give you horrible on the bias triangles. I did this in a quilt and ended up with the wonkiest squares ever. It was easy, but not worth it.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:02 AM

I watched the tutorials on the Bloc Loc site. It looks fabulous. Can you just get the biggest one and do all sizes or is it necessary to buy lots of different sizes? They're pretty pricey.
sval