Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New girl here! In need of some advice!! >

New girl here! In need of some advice!!

New girl here! In need of some advice!!

Old 03-04-2014, 05:30 AM

Welcome from Canada !! Just wanted to say that I too have had this problem & have just purchased something called a Slidelock (after being recommended here). It is NOT a ruler as it does not have measurements on it. It is a ruler "wannabe". It's a straight piece of acrylic with an attached handle with big grips on the bottom. With your ruler or the grid on your mat, you line up your fabric with those straight lines, put your Slidelock even with the lines, push down on it until it grips your fabric & cut away. Your fabric cannot move & apparently you can cut multiple folds of fabric with no movement & hence, straighter cuts. I have only just received it & have tried it only a couple of times but so far, so good. Fairly reasonably priced, so check it out www.quiltersslidelock.com It may be your solution.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dispatchgirl View Post
Amazing! That video helps so much! I think I was trying to cut with too much yardage. I have two yards of this fabric and I think for ease of cutting purposes I'm gonna chop it down so I'm working with less fabric on the table.

Duh I should have realized that was an issue.
Kudos for asking for help! Please don't chop off your length of fabric!!! That's one of those " oh, shoot!" moments that you'll regret. Just support the length of fabric on a chair back or something so it doesn't pull your cutting off. This straight cutting will come with practice. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2014, 05:50 AM

I took a class from Ami Simms and learned when ironing fabric that moving the iron parrallel to the salvage edge will decrease the likelyood of stretching the fabric out of shape. The threads that are the base for weaving (warp) are more stable then the crosswise threads (weft). No salvage on your fabric? Hold it between your thumbs and forefingers and give a gentle tug. If it stretshes it is the cosswise threads, if it doesn't it is the warp.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:58 AM

Welcome!!!! Just wanted to wish you Good luck and tell you that these board members are wonderful and so very helpful!!!!!
Old 03-04-2014, 07:09 AM

I think the go baby has strip dies...I may be wrong..I have the go and the die cutters for it...quick, easy and straight as an arrow!
Old 03-04-2014, 07:18 AM

Hang in there; we've nearly all been there before. You will get better as you gain more experience. If you can find the book "The Better Homes and Gardens Complete Book of Quilting" you will find the pictures and text are most helpful. It is not a new release, so you should be able to find a used copy.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:30 AM

This is an ongoing problem even if you are not new...just realign often. I finally bought a "GO" when Joann's put them on sale. I love it for cutting strips..mine are straight now ...well worth the cost if you are a "forever quilter".
Old 03-04-2014, 07:54 AM

After many years of quilting, I still learn from other quilters. A tip when rotary cutting is: Keep the bulk of your fabric to your right if you are right handed. It really helps being accurate and efficient.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:28 AM

Paperprincess has provided good advice. Please be sure that your cutting surface under your mat is perfectly flat. If, for example, you are cutting on a table that has a leaf, there may be an uneven spot that will make a difference. Ask me how I know!
And welcome to the board from chilly, but the sun is coming out and it should finally get into the 40's today, North Texas. froggyintexas
Old 03-04-2014, 08:51 AM

you can also straighten the grain of the fabric: with slightly damp cloth, grab opposite corners i.e., top left corner and bottom right corner and stretch, then top right corner and bottom left corner. the grain often gets distorted during the milling process. i generally do the stretch then the rip to get perfectly squared fabric