Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric prices >

Fabric prices

Fabric prices

Old 03-20-2014, 05:32 AM

When I made my first quilt 30+ years ago, fabric was around $5/yard. Yes, fabric prices have gone up, but it has been a gradual thing, not a sudden jump. People who are smokers pay well over $5/pack, and I can remember when they cost 25 cents/pack. In 1970, gas was 33 cents/gallon, and look where it is now.
The point of my ramblings is, if you really want it, you'll get it no matter what it costs. If you are on a fixed budget, you can still get fabric by going to thrift stores/auctions, estate sales, yard sales, etc/ or you can ask family members to gift you with fabrics or notions for birthdays or holidays, or, only buy the fabric when you have a coupon or really good sale. You can also make scrappy quilts out of leftovers from other projects, so you can get "double duty" out of your fabric. Or, you can plan ahead for your project and buy items in stages - fabric on one trip to the store, then batting on another trip, then backing, binding, thread, etc
If you figure a quilt would last for only just 1 year, the cost of that quilt is about 38 cents/day. Most quilts are around for many years. The cost of the materials may seem expensive when you pay for it all at once, but the return on the investment is pretty darned worth it.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

I used to feel a little guilty about my fabric purchases, but my gut told me 2 things:
1-retirement is not going to buy much fabric
2-fabric prices are not going to come down, but eventually go up!
So glad I have more than an adequate stash and don't even look at the fabrics when I go in a store. I can shop in my own sewing room
Old 04-08-2014, 12:16 PM

Wal mart has a collection that I loved and it was $4.97, well no one else like it so they reduced it to $2.00 a yard and I had a field day. But the bad thing about the fabric dept most of the time no one is in there working and you have to go find someone to page a worker and then wait for the worker to come I can cut the fabric but can't work the scanner. Maybe I need to learn.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:41 PM

I never buy fabric from a LQS or online unless it is on sale. I buy my thread and ALL of my solids from Connecting Threads. I use my stash for the focus fabric and use muslin for the quilt backs. I quilt for the enjoyment and it is pretty darned hard to find enjoyment in $12 per yard fabric.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:35 PM

I thank my lucky stars that I have much cheaper local options. LQS stores average the same $12-13/yd, but we have Mill End Fabrics, though not always current, I can get top quality cottons for $3.60-$5.80/yd and 108" backer fabric for $7/yd. Online from Connecting Threads and Thousands of Bolts helps too.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Average price here is $22 for a metre (39") and batiks/flannels are around $23.40...... I mostly buy on line from the US or when my LQS has a sale - about $14.
Agreed. Fabric is horribly expensive here and like you most of mine comes from the US though I do get from a couple of places in the UK during sales.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:58 AM

The prices keep going up because the cost of the raw material, cotton, keeps going up.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
prices range from $10-$20 a meter.

these threads are really starting to chafe. i wish people could understand the slavery economy behind fabric production, and the reality of what it would cost should the true costs of fabric be charged back to the consumer. the environmental impact of industrial cotton production is truly, truly horrifying.

we pay a small fraction of what fabric really costs, both to the humans who make it and to the planet that we take it from.

aileen
Is there an environmentally safe way of making fabric as opposed to the " horrific" way it is made today?
Old 04-17-2014, 08:58 AM

Yes, the good old days of reasonably priced fabric are gone. You have to be selective in thread count, designer, and
which stores are consistently offering "fair" priced fabric. Then again, once in a while you will stumble on exceptional
cotton pieces at your Goodwill, Salvation Army, or other re-sale shops. They sometimes get fabric from elderly
ladies who no longer sew.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart View Post
The prices keep going up because the cost of the raw material, cotton, keeps going up.
This is true, we see it here at Ladyfingers. Our regular price for 100% high quality fabrics are around $8-$9/yard.
Batiks and Flannel, we try to keep it around $10-11/yard