Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I expect a new in box machine? >

Should I expect a new in box machine?

Should I expect a new in box machine?

Old 03-11-2014, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
On the surface it does sound as if the 2.5 hour drive nets you a better deal but I guess you would need to factor in the free lessons learning the machine that the dealer provides. But a road trip sounds great to me to get a better deal.

BTW, if I was to consider buying an open box slightly used sewing machine from a dealer, you can bet I would negotiate that they drop the price or I wouldn't buy it. How can you sell a machine as brand new when it is sitting open to the public and has been "used", no matter how slightly.

Yep go for the road trip. Good time to spend planning your next project. A floor model is NOT a new machine.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:18 AM

I admit that I've not read all six pages of comments so I apologize if this is a repeat - There is one advantage to getting a floor model and that is that any kinks that were in it are now fixed. No matter how good a machine brand is, there's always the chance that something will be wrong when you take it out of the box...by having people test drive it, those will have been identified and fixed. The warranty is still the one for a new machine, since it's new to you. Normally...normally... a discount is given for a floor model when the model is discontinued and they're getting rid of the floor model...but go for it - can't hurt to ask.

that being said - I'd probably go for the one 2.5 hours away - but I like to drive!
Old 03-11-2014, 06:25 AM

I would travel 2.5 hours to save the $600, let alone $1600. You can buy a lot of lessons for $1600. Besides Janome has a lot of instruction on their website and there are youtube videos on this machine. Also, there is a Janome yahoo group for embroidery machines...I would have told the first store, can you match the other dealer's price and the sales tax with a new in the box machine. When they said "no", I would start for the door. My local dealer has always matched website prices less tax on my Janomes and Babylock sergers. They reduce their price a little more to bring down the price so they can report their sales tax. I would never purchase a machine of this magnitude if it was not brand new in the box. Say what you will about it is OK to purchase a floor model, but this particular machine is very expensive and there are a lot of computerized parts and misusing this machine during a sewing "test" on the floor could render this machine inoperable, requiring it to be sent back to the factory. This is the top of the line embroidery machine with wonderful features. You know that the dealer 2.5 hours away will also ship this machine to you. It may cost $80 or more, but it may be worth it to you, rather than driving there. However, a nice drive and the chance to get them to set up your machine out of the box and show you how to use it would be great. I have six Janomes, love them all. I have two 6600's and two 8900, since we travel to a cabin once a month. I also have a 350E and 11000SE.
The Janomes are real workhorses, particularly the 6600 for quilting. I am still learning the 8900. I now have a wonderful dealer that I buy from out of state. She ships my Janomes to me in their original box and I have never had any problems with the machine. I do ask for them to ship FedEx rather than UPS. Too many problems with UPS...a subject for another topic..let me say that UPS Claims Manager told me that all of their boxes go end over end numerous times in shipment and they pay no attention to the words "fragile and this end up" written on the outside, about the only time they pay half way attention is if the item has "Glass" written on the box. I have my out of state dealer put large "GLASS" labels on their machine boxes sent to me even is it is FedEx.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:33 AM

Last year I purchased an "Open Box" machine. Now, the machine had never been out of the box, but for some reason they had opened it. I have to say, I saved ALOT of money by purchasing that one. And I can say that I got the same warranty and accessories, plus some addition accessories with the machine. And everything was packed in there nice and neat, so I could tell it really had never been out of the box, nor used.

This is the 2nd time I have purchased from this store, the first time was a Demo machine, and I saved alot of money on it as well. For me, this is the only way to go, because I can't afford a brand new one. But if I did pay the price for a brand new one, it better come in a nice sealed box, never ever used.

Good luck and I Hope you find what your looking for. I think this guy is trying to pull a fast one, and make alot of money on top of it. And as for him cutting other machines down, I had that same experience at another local sewing machine shop, and I refuse to purchase anything from them. I even called the company they were putting down and reported them!! I think these companies need to know why they are not getting alot of sales from these so called dealers.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:43 AM

Maybe you can purchase the better price machine and then see if you can buy some classes at the local shop. The final price would still be less than if you purchased it locally.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:19 AM

I would take the road trip, I had a situation like yours and I saved a ton of money. I called the dealer told him I was driving a few hours to purchase the machine. We set up a day and time that was good for both of us. He knew I was coming and had the time set aside for my husband and I. We unpacked the new box, set it up, he showed me how to thread it. He did a little adjustment on the tension and then I sewed with it and embroidered one of the built in designs. We were there for several hours and I played around with it, looked at the manual, asked lots of questions and got lots of information. That was in December and I have had no problems at all.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:22 AM

I think I'd forget that dealer!
Old 03-11-2014, 07:25 AM

I agree. If I am buying something new, I expect it to be NEW. If it comes off the floor as a used floor model than it should be sold as such and discounted as such!
Old 03-11-2014, 07:26 AM

Find your car keys!!
Old 03-11-2014, 07:27 AM

I would drive to the other store.