Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Open seams and stitch in the ditch? >

Open seams and stitch in the ditch?

Open seams and stitch in the ditch?

Old 03-11-2014, 03:43 AM

Default Open seams and stitch in the ditch?

I don't FMQ yet I SITD. I am making a throw for my couch and plan to try pressing the seams open to see how I like it. Can you still SITD with pressed open seams because you'll just be stitching over the stitches?
Old 03-11-2014, 04:06 AM

I wouldn't. It just doesn't seem as secure as pressing seams to the side and stitching over fabric. But then, I have never been happy with open seams.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:11 AM

I agree with toverly . If you thing with an open seam and the Sitd you would be sewing on the thread and not joining fabric. Press to one side and stitch as close as you can to the seam but not I it.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

Are you machine piecing? If so then your seams will probably be strong enough for SITD pressed open. If you are hand piecing then, no I would not recommend pressing your seams open.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

I pressed my center seams open when I did my Spiderweb quilt. I FMQ spiderwebs on it but the quilting cause the open seams to separate enough I could see the thread. I had used grey thread on black fabric and I ended up having to use a sharpie to cover the thread, lesson learned. If you have a close thread match it should be okay but SITD beside, not over the thread.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I wouldn't. It just doesn't seem as secure as pressing seams to the side and stitching over fabric. But then, I have never been happy with open seams.
I would only press open the seam on vary rare occasion. SITD is very weak stitch if there is no fabric to hold the sandwich together. Beside, even if they have made improvement with battings, there is always the chance of your batting migrating thru the pressed open seam especially if your fabric is very dark such as black.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

if you do, I would stitch 1/4 inch away from your actual seam on each side. not right on the threads.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
if you do, I would stitch 1/4 inch away from your actual seam on each side. not right on the threads.
I second that. If you try to stitch right ON the seam line (as there would be no ditch), you run the risk of cutting the seam line. Even just off to the side an 1/8th or 1/16th of an inch, would be better than on the seam. JMHO
Old 03-11-2014, 06:15 AM

I agree if you press seams open you should not SITD right on the seams but rather just to the side to catch the top and one of the seam allowances for strength. I never press seams open, I guess I have not done a quilt that needed them pressed open.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
Consider it a form of echo quilting. Though you might want to try a bit of simple quilting with a practice sample and see how that goes, like orange peel. It all depends on the design of your quilt.