Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sending your quilt to a LAQ >

Sending your quilt to a LAQ

Sending your quilt to a LAQ

Old 03-12-2014, 01:51 PM

Default Sending your quilt to a LAQ

When you send your quilt out to be long arm quilted ,and you keep asking her how it is going; because you haven't heard back in a week and then in another week. Do you feel like your quilt is being held hostage? I had been on her list since last December; finally got the top done last month and asked her how long it would take to get quilted. She said she would try to have it done in 2 weeks from receiving it. She received it on the 25th of Feb. a week later I emailed her and asked her how it was going; and again yesterday I emailed her to see how it was going . She said she hasn't been feeling good and she has some other quilts to get done for people entering them in a quilt show. She will "try" to get to it the end of this month.
I could have had it done by now on my DSM. I feel she should have told me she had all the other quilts to work on. I feel like asking her to send my quilt back to me now. Would this be too rude of me? How long should one have to wait for the work to be done?
Old 03-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

well life does interfere. If she hasn't started it and you need the quilt, it wouldn't hurt to ask for it back.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

good communication is certainly a must to be successful at any business...she certainly should have let you know before you sent her the quilt that she had some ahead of it- and, when she found she was not feeling good enough to be working on them she should have shared that- life happens to everyone, sometimes you can not avoid delays- but good communication should always come first. I would call her- forget the emails- talk to her personally- let her know how you feel about the situation- and that maybe it would be best for her to return the quilt unless she can have it done in a * mutually agreed on time frame* . the whole ''''how long should someone wait'''' question is a relative one- sometimes things happen- if there is good communication, and no deadlines looming a person may be willing to wait a long time *which is also relative- long to me may not be long to you* but if there is no communication the *time frame may feel too long---only you can decide how long you are willing to wait....but a phone call and discussion is certainly needed at this point.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:38 PM

Whenever I send mine out they tell me approx. how long it will be, or how many there are ahead of me.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:49 PM

I know it is frustrating, but unless you need the quilt back for a deadline like to give as a gift at an event, I would be patient. I agree she should have communicated with you earlier about the delay. My LAQ has had mine for 2 months, but I knew she had a long list before me, and don't have to have it back any specific time, so am not worked up about it. I agree with the previous note that if you are really upset about it, I would ask for it back and just do it yourself. Perhaps you can find another LAQ that holds to a tighter schedule if that is what you want.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:35 PM

Just a note for future - she told you 2 weeks, so why did you email after 1 week? For me (a new long arm quilter) I might not even have started your quilt at that point, and still be planning to meet the 2 week mark. I don't like being bugged - at least not before the agreed upon date. That said - she should have told you when she got behind esp. since you were obviously eager to get it back, and asked if the delay was an issue for you.

I would not think that in general people send quilts to LAQ for speed, however. I'm sure in most cases you could do it faster/sooner yourself. The LAQ is used because they can do something you can't - either because of the size, or the intricacy of the pattern, or whatever. Generally it will take a little longer than doing it yourself - because you aren't their only client.

In this case, you could simply say no, the end of the month is not sufficient and you need to drop by to pick up the quilt.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:44 PM

Interesting topic. I was spoiled by my LAQ back in Maryland; she was very fast and I always would get my quilt back within two weeks, 3 weeks tops. Now we are here in AZ and I have heard that the "average" wait for a twinsize quilt is 2 months! Lots of LAQs where I lived before, not so many here :/
Old 03-12-2014, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
Just a note for future - she told you 2 weeks, so why did you email after 1 week? For me (a new long arm quilter) I might not even have started your quilt at that point, and still be planning to meet the 2 week mark. I don't like being bugged - at least not before the agreed upon date. That said - she should have told you when she got behind esp. since you were obviously eager to get it back, and asked if the delay was an issue for you.

I would not think that in general people send quilts to LAQ for speed, however. I'm sure in most cases you could do it faster/sooner yourself. The LAQ is used because they can do something you can't - either because of the size, or the intricacy of the pattern, or whatever. Generally it will take a little longer than doing it yourself - because you aren't their only client.

In this case, you could simply say no, the end of the month is not sufficient and you need to drop by to pick up the quilt.
I mailed the quilt to her; I have not spoken to her in person. The reason I emailed her after a week was because I asked her to let me know after seeing the quilt top what she had for ideas on the design and how much she would be charging. I still don't know how much she would charge me for it. I am getting the run around.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:21 PM

Not rude at all. I have had the same issues and am lucky now to have a shop in my home town. Three weeks is the longest I have waited. Her shop is called The Quilted Heart and More. I think she takes quilts from the mail. I live in Wyandotte, Michigan 48192
Old 03-12-2014, 05:23 PM

on her write up sheets she gives a promised date. A deposit is required