Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie Question about quilting tools... >

Newbie Question about quilting tools...

Newbie Question about quilting tools...

Old 03-14-2014, 07:20 AM

I made sure I had a long ruler mine is 5.5x18(personally I have not cared for the 6x24, recently got one, I find it more awkward to use), the june tailor shape cut, and a good decent sized mat( I used my 23x23 June tailor mat), and a 45mm olfa rotary cutter were my starter tools, I also acquired gingher scissors too. A good beginner machine is a must, however I would not start off with anything too basic or you might outgrow it too fast( I have a brother XL-3010 with very limited adjustments, upgraded to an XL-3500i, and then upgraded that to a SQ-9050 which is now my class machine). Any other small items like specialty rulers, needle threaders, stilettos, etc. I aquired over time. For basic sewing machines try to get ones with adjustable stitch width and length, needle down position, that has a basic zigzag and blanket stitch for applique, drop feed for FMQ, adjustable needle position. If it were me and you want a good machine that you can grow into that won't break the bank but is more sturdy and has most features you will need, I would look at the brother PC-420 off of amazon for around $400. This machine is more heavy duty than most low end machines like the ones I listed above but has a lot of high end features without putting a lot of money into it. Than you can learn what you really want in a higher machine. Brothers are easy to learn and to me from reviews have the best written manuals even on the low end side their manuals are really well done. This hobby is addicting so have fun

Last edited by Dolphyngyrl; 03-14-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:43 AM

You will need a cutting mat the biggest you can afford and rotary cutter. I prefer Olfa brand myself. 6.5x24 inch ruler, sandpapered dots so you ruler doesn't slip(cheaper than Invisigrip)long thin straight pins, seam ripper and if you can afford it a 1/4 inch foot for your machine.
If you haven't quilted at all make sure quilting is a hobby you want to stick with before buying much more. Quilting can be expensive especially if you think you need all the gadgets that they make. If you want to stick with it splurge every so often and buy another ruler etc.. You can get lots of advise on what you need here.
Good Luck and Happy Quilting!!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:18 PM

What got me started in quilting in the 80's? The Eleanor Burns book "Trip Around the World." I made my daughter her first quilt following the directions in that book. She is now 31 and still has this quilt!

Marilee- originally from CT
Old 03-20-2014, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

I like the olfa rulers the best of the ones I have because it is the easiest for me to use. The lines are fine and it is not cluttereed. I think I will start to replace as many of my rulers as I can with the olfas.

I have a couple of the creatve grids ones and I feel that there is way too much to pay attention to when uing them.

A few hand sewing needles are useful and so is a thimble. I use small curved nail scissors for clipping threads.

A bottle of Fray Check is useful at times, too.

I second Jan's recommendation for graph paper. A pair of ordinary scissors for cutting paper can be useful. Marking pencils, too.

I also recommend an iron and ironing board. And spray bottle/ mister.

And to wash your washable components before cutting them.

If you don' t want to do the wash before cutting routine, then buy a supply of color catchers and Synthrapol.

Last edited by bearisgray; 03-20-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:49 PM

Make a wish list of the quilting notions you would like to have. JoAnn's puts a lot of notions on sale for 50% off every few weeks, so check their website every Sunday to see what's on sale that week. When sewing notions and quilting supplies are on sale 50% off, that's when you want to do your shopping. I rarely buy anything that's not on sale. Since I make a lot of charity quilts, I like to stretch my money so that I can donate more quilts.

Happy quilting!!! It's quite addicting.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:21 PM

Another thing that has made my quilting so much easier is a pair of Machingers quilting gloves. My hands used to get tired and cramp up when quilting the sandwich (constant grabbing/gripping/manhandling the quilt around my machine). With these gloves they 'stick' to the fabric making it much easier to move the quilt around.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Rotary cutter, mat, 24"x8.5" (or x6.5") ruler and a smaller ruler, maybe 6"x4", pins, scissors, seam ripper. Not a lot is really required, but we manage to accumulate all sorts of other things anyway.
I agree with Dunster but instead of the 6x4 ruler I bought a 6 x 12

http://www.olfa.com/RulersDetail.aspx?C=66&Id=144

This is the ruler that I use all the time. You will accumulate other items as you go but will be able to do almost anything with this group of start up tools.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:28 PM

When I started quilting I had a sewing machine and a scissors, plus normal sewing notions, like pins, ripper, etc. When rotary cutters came out I got a mat, a 6x24 ruler and a Dritz rotary cutter, which I am still using. That's all I had for many years. The last couple years I have bought a few more rulers, a new mat, and a portable ironing surface. I have everything I need to make most anything. My favorite rulers are my 6x12 and my 6.5x6.5.