Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
how I come up with a quilting motif >

how I come up with a quilting motif

how I come up with a quilting motif

Old 03-18-2014, 06:13 AM

Oh my gosh! I loved the quilt before it was quilted and now it is jaw-dropping gorgeous! Thanks for showing us how...even though I can only do machine quilting on my small basic sewing machine, I could still employ your technique for small things. You really gave us the basics...p.s. Love that 6 pointed star, too!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MarthaT View Post
I am a hand quilter and one of the reasons I don't care for most machine quilting is that is tends to go all over and make the blocks disappear. As a hand quilter, I try to bring the blocks to life and compliment their design with the motifs I quilt within them. What a breath of fresh air to see a machine quilter who does the same and breathes life into the pieced blocks instead of working a design all over them making them run together. Thanks for sharing your tute. It is also helpful for me as a hand quilter.
Thank you, I hand quilted before I got my LA. I suspect my hand quilting years influence my LA quilting. But I am definitely not alone, there are many, many LAQ out there that let the piecing dictate how they quilt. It really all depends on the client's budget. All over end to end quilting is the least expensive option and sometimes that is also the best option for a quilt. Sometimes an all over panto that completely ignores the piecing is the perfect compliment even if money is no object.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mariah View Post
Anyone have any suggestions?
thanks! Mariah
I did the 3D pin wheel quilt for my grand daughter, she also loves purple, it has purple, green and white for the background. There is a simple tutorial on here from a few yrs ago and I couldn't believe how easy it was. I used my Accuquilt to cut the squares which made it easier. I took the extra blocks and made her a pillow. She loves it and its in her bed each night.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:26 AM

That is one of the most beautiful quilting jobs I've ever seen. When I first looked at the quilt I was rather put off, but after you quilted it - WOW!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:28 AM

​Beautiful!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

Your quilting is gorgeous.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:54 AM

The quilting is beautiful. I love a quilting design that enhances the quilt rather than 'hides the pattern of the quilt' Figuring out a quilting design has always been the hardest for me. I guess that is why I have a stack of tops. Maybe this approach will help me come up with some quilting ideas.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
Thanks for putting that link in. I ordered all 3 of her books, figured if you recommended one her others would probably be valuable also. Your quilting is AMAZING!
I love Karen McTavish's books and DVDs and have learned so much from them too!
Feline~You've done wonders for this quilt with the designs you used to quilt it!
Old 03-18-2014, 02:00 PM

Amazing quilting!!! I would have never seen that pattern as a new quilter and appreciate your sharing!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
When I first saw the top, I thought it was just a mish-mash of unrelated shapes. But seeing what you have done with the quilting - wow! It is transformed. You've illuminated the shapes that were there (that I couldn't see) and added more interest as well. Absolutely wonderful! Now you have to show us the whole quilt -- please!
Like many of the others on this thread, this was my reaction, too. I thought, how in the world is she going to quilt this? You really made all the attributes of the quilt shine. It is gorgeous. Show us the entire quilt, please!