Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help making a memory quilt >

help making a memory quilt

help making a memory quilt

Old 03-20-2014, 01:14 PM

Default help making a memory quilt

I have a shirt that was my mom's who passed away in 1991. It is a denim shirt that she did some hand embroidery on. The embroidery is scattered about on the shirt and are smallish designs...just things like a cluster of grapes, a pair of cherries, a duckling etc. There are even two small designs on the collar. So, my question is how should/could I use this in a memory quilt? I thought about just laying it open and appliqueing it to a background then building a quilt around that, or fussy cutting the embroidery out then using them in blocks.

Does anyone have suggestions or a pattern to share?

Thanks,
Jp
Old 03-20-2014, 01:23 PM

Fussy cutting them and making a wall hanging sounds like a good idea. I imagine the designs are pretty small so there may not be enough for a quilt.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:28 PM

The designs are probably on average 4". I was thinking more of a wall hanging, unless I add some pictures and other stuff to make something bigger.

Thanks,
Jp
Old 03-20-2014, 01:32 PM

Maybe if you want it larger you could add some photos on fabric such as a picture of her with the shirt on...............???

I'm sure there will be other ideas also.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:52 PM

I made a pillow for my Sis with pieces of a linen type shirt her dd had x-stitched on. I pieced it with coordinating colours; the two side flaps were the collar points & I left them unattached except in the center & bottom seam. Maybe this will give you another idea? [ATTACH=CONFIG]468242[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails scans-kath-b-day-pillow-2004-small-.jpg  
Old 03-20-2014, 04:18 PM

I'd fussy cut and use them as the center of each block. I kick myself for getting rid of -- when I was much younger -- a denim shirt my mom embroidered for me. Would do this very thing with it if I still had it. I keep an eye out for it at rummage sales -- it may come back around to me some day!
Old 03-20-2014, 04:49 PM

Thimblebugg- I like that, thanks for the idea!

CookyIN- My mom had a bunch of t-shirts from the Peachtree Rd Race that is held in Atl, GA every year and those were all gotten rid of! It would have been great to use them in a quilt too. That was before my quilting, even sewing, days so I did not tell our friends that went through my moms things to keep them. Oh well.

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Jp
Old 03-20-2014, 07:42 PM

Do you have any other clothing items to go with the embroidered shirt? If not, I would suggest a pillow or small wall hanging. If you've got other items you can add to the project, I'd suggest starting with Pinterest and searching for Memory quilts. I get lots of ideas from there and from searching quilt images on Bing and Google.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by PlanoDebbie View Post
Do you have any other clothing items to go with the embroidered shirt? If not, I would suggest a pillow or small wall hanging. If you've got other items you can add to the project, I'd suggest starting with Pinterest and searching for Memory quilts. I get lots of ideas from there and from searching quilt images on Bing and Google.
Unfortunately this is the only thing I have. I will take your suggestion and look at google and pininterest.

Thanks,
Jp