Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design wall woe.. >

Design wall woe..

Design wall woe..

Old 03-30-2014, 07:02 AM

Default Design wall woe..

My design wall is too small. (see picture) I hate to admit this because my husband told me when I cut two feet off the top originally that I would regret it. "No," said, "I will never make a quilt that needs anything larger." Wrong!

My question is can you think of a short term fix until I figure out how to get another piece of the insulation board home and make a taller one? I was thinking of setting the whole board up on step stools or taping strips to the wall with masking tape. (I could make the quilt smaller, but don't want to.)

Or do you think the part dragging on the floor won't drive me crazy, for now?

I had to take the picture sideways, as my sewing room is too small to back up any farther.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001783.jpg  
Old 03-30-2014, 07:03 AM

I feel your pain.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Personally, I'd find a way to get it up on the wall--easier to see if pieces may be sewn out of order......
Old 03-30-2014, 07:08 AM

How about this - put some plastic hooks on the back, then mount a couple of rings over your closet molding and hook it on them. It will hold it several inches higher, and be easy enough to take down and patch a couple of small holes later. Or you might want to secure the larger one that way, and it can be taken down and stored when not in use.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:18 AM

Mine goes to the ceiling but still when the quilt progresses I have to fold the right side and the bottom goes out into the room. I just put a photo on the 50 Stars thread. My opinion...however big you have, the quilt will always be bigger.
I also have to stand on a stool or chair which is a pain

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2014 at 04:26 AM. Reason: language
Old 03-30-2014, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

I agree with KalamaQuilts. Many of my quilts are taller than the ceilings in my sewing room. When I get ready to lay out a big quilt I have to use the floor in another room. I still pin things up on my design board, but it's often not tall enough or wide enough for the whole thing to fit. And all too often there are already other things on it when I want to use it.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Is your design wall wide enough to put them up sideways? Not ideal for viewing but you can take a picture of them laid out sideways and then turn the picture. OR use painters tape at the very top of the wall to start the strip on the wood.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:14 AM

I cut my styrofoam board into 4 pieces then covered them. That way I can configure it any way I want. Do you still have the piece you cut off?
Old 03-30-2014, 08:45 AM

My days of crawling on the floor to do anything are over. I can get down, but getting up again is a bit of a chore.

If you have a king or queen size bed in your home, use that for your design wall. If you put a flannel backed table cloth on it to hold the blocks, you can just roll it up and put it away when you are done.

I think I'd put some elastic banding on the corners of the table cloth to loop under the mattress to hold it (flannel backed table cloth) in place on the bed.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:05 AM

All good suggestions! What I have done for the moment is to get it higher by setting it on two step stools. Of course, now it is too tall for me to reach the top and my two step stools are under it

I have to be able to get into the closet behind this wall, so my design wall has to be portable. And I don't have an empty wall to attach it to anywhere else in here. It sounds like design walls are never just quite large enough. That sort of makes me feel better.

I don't have the pieces I cut off. That was 3 years ago. No telling what happened to them. Maybe hooks over my closet could work, so I could remove the design wall when I needed in my closet.

Like I said, all good suggestions.

Here is my temporary fix...look past the cat and pretend my lap top isn't sticking out in the way...the stools will work for now, I think.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001784.jpg