Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Ideas for best way to fit fabric into new cabinets needed! >

Ideas for best way to fit fabric into new cabinets needed!

Ideas for best way to fit fabric into new cabinets needed!

Old 04-10-2014, 12:09 PM

Here's a link to Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville which shows her method. I've used it for a deep cabinet I bought and it works well. You're fabrics are stacked horizontally and use the shelf depth(minus 1/2-1 inch). I find that if I use a large ruler to slide between the stack just above the fabric I want to remove, I can remove the fabric with distrubing the stack too much.

Here's the link: http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/...h-folding.html
Old 04-10-2014, 01:48 PM

[QUOTE=linkd;6669217]
Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Laying it flat.....

Lin from Sebastopol
Thanks Lin! That helps me visualize it, thank you! And you're a local! I live in Santa Rosa.

Originally Posted by selm View Post
... I find that if I use a large ruler to slide between the stack just above the fabric I want to remove, I can remove the fabric with distrubing the stack too much.

Oh I like that idea with the ruler helping keep the stack straight, that's a great idea. I'll check out that link when I get home tonight too.

Thanks!! I KNEW folks on this board would figure out a solution for me. I'm not sure why I had such a blind aversion to stacks of fabric but that really does seem like the best way to use the max amount of space possible.

After all, if I find a lot of extra space, that means I can get more fabric, right? LOL
Old 04-10-2014, 03:16 PM

What if you folded the 'less than a yard' pieces so they were shorter than the longer yardage pieces so you could see them both at once. Like a paperback in front of an encyclopedia. Or if you were putting your smaller cuts together on a shelf maybe something could be placed behind them so they would be at the front of the shelf instead of all the way in the back. Others have used vertical shelf dividers to keep stacks organized- they would also work for smaller cuts in a group with larger yardages.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:22 AM

[QUOTE=linkd;6669217]
Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
linkd - and you're laying the folded fabric flat? Or standing it up like a book?

Laying it flat. It is about 11 inches deep/long. Leave the fabric as it comes off the bolt (selvage to selvage) fold/wrap it around a ruler placed perpendicular to the fold, slide the ruler out and fold it in half widthwise. The usual instructions (you can probably find a video) involve a 6 x 24 ruler and would leave your with something wider than 6 inches but the same length. If you used a 6 x 24 ruler with a half yard cut I don't think that you would see enough of your fabric to pick it out of the stack. It does look like it will work with a 3 x 24 (I used a 3 x 18 - that's what I had) and only stacked 2 pieces because I was just trying it out.

Lin from Sebastopol
Is this ruler folding? I have heard the term before but never quite got the concept..do you literally fold the fabric around the width of the ruler? Is there a tute on this....I really need to re organize too!
Old 04-11-2014, 05:30 AM

Sorry.. Just went to Bonnie hunter site as suggested and like her method too, so now to roll up my sleeves and get at it!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:43 AM

I used Bonnie Hunter's methods for my fabric also. My shelves are 12 deep. I folded 5.5 inches wide and11 inch lengths. Everything fits nice and neat this way.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:41 PM

I saw a Quilt Show video where the artist had her fabric folded and stacked. When she wanted a certain fabric, she took a comic book card and slid it between the fabrics to lift off the one she wanted. Kept her fabrics neatly stacked and when done, she would lift and slide the fabric back into place. Hope this is clear as mud. LOL
Old 04-11-2014, 09:53 PM

I also did mine double deep. Look at the center shelf in the pictures: http://www.quiltingboard.com/items-s...s-t243848.html If you wrap the back ones on taller boards, the front ones are really easy to see over. In my case the back ones are 7" deep and the front boards are 6" deep. The back is 11 1/2" tall and the front is 9. I don't have to move anything to see the entire collection in that closet and it's inspiring to see it all at once. What ever you use for boards, don't be afraid to go two deep. Just don't make the front row to tight that you can't slide them slightly to get the back ones out. Also, the reason I don't ruler wrap is that "book style" comes out one piece (board) at a time and the rest doesn't get disturbed at all. Good luck with whatever you do. It's gonna be so much better than bins any day of the week. Have fun!
Old 04-13-2014, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by selm View Post
Here's a link to Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville which shows her method. I've used it for a deep cabinet I bought and it works well. You're fabrics are stacked horizontally and use the shelf depth(minus 1/2-1 inch). I find that if I use a large ruler to slide between the stack just above the fabric I want to remove, I can remove the fabric with distrubing the stack too much.

That's a great type (using the ruler to access a fabric). Thanks!
Old 04-18-2014, 05:35 AM

I still don't have my cabinets built (it takes SO LONG to schedule cables to be moved and painters to come in!) but I pulled a shelf out of the box so I'd have the exact dimensions and I've been playing with folding my fabric over the last couple days.... It's just not making me happy to do the ruler folding. The folds look gorgeous and it's really easy to make it nice & consistent but the sizing just annoys me. 11" deep stacks on a shelf that's almost 15" deep is just too much wasted space for me. I can't leave 4" of space on every shelf, I just can't do it. I even tried cutting a cardboard piece that was 14" deep and tried to figure out a good fold/wrap method for that size but it's just not working out for me and all my half-yard cuts. Plus I keep running into issues where 2 stacks fit and then there's a gap...I'm not ACTUALLY OCD but I'm starting to feel like I'm getting there with this. I want NO GAPS, NO wasted space.

So I cut some cardboard down to comic book board size to test with and played around with that idea and I THINK that might actually work best. I found boards on Amazon that are a little on the narrow side (6-3/4" x 10-1/2) and although I hate and loathe the idea of having double rows of fabric I think I am discovering that I hate and loathe the idea of wasting my precious new storage space even more. So I bought a pack of 200 to get started (I'm scared to figure out how many I REALLY need). I figure I can do double rows and have almost zero wasted space.

Since I'm stuck waiting at least 2 more weeks before I can start really putting the room together, that gives me some time to get at least SOME of my fabric sorted and wrapped and ready to go into the shelves ahead of time.

It'll give me something to do to keep moving forward, I am SO ANTSY about this room, I want it done yesterday! I'm exactly like a kid waiting to open presents on Christmas morning. "Now? Now? How about NOW?"

Last edited by Sewnoma; 04-18-2014 at 05:37 AM.