Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This Is The Way I Choose To Make My Ideas Into Reality

This Is The Way I Choose To Make My Ideas Into Reality

My patchwork quilt blocks are coming along nicely. By applying sound sewing habits from years of working in the Los Angeles based “rag trade,” I have successfully combined both industrial & domestic fabric selection/sewing techniques into a rapidly forming rather fanciful potentially satisfying quilt top blocks you see below.

I live and work in Southern California. I source from any and all stores (not just fabric/quilt stores) and specialty shops around me. I don’t neglect any source as you never know what’s in their inventory at any given time. I use the simplest means of tools and techniques around. Here I use the 1 seam/5 Minute Flying Geese block. I am especially attracted to this method as the embossed-like folded up Goose piece is so quickly accurate to form and stands out so well without additional quilting. These are the 4 colors/patterns I use from saved remnants & bolt ends to make my idea into reality. This is who I am & what my creations will always proven to be-creations born from times of austerity (like my parent's Great Depression Of The 1930s & World War 2) to my own times of trial and tribulation. The first completed block in dark red & blue is simply a very rough draft or sketch of the completed top. The individual block units are the actual ones that will grace my daybed (about 65 inches by 85 inches) when completed.

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I will post the completed top at least by the end of the week. I still need to buy a top sheet from Target for the backing early next month. Then it will be ready to use for late Spring, Summer, and Early Fall hot weather use.

Blog Entries
    You've got some neat fabrics. Will be fun to see your finished quilt.
    Mavis

The flying geese look great and your fabrics are lovely.
    Emily

I look forward to seeing the end result! Your fabrics sure are interesting and I like your "leave no stone unturned" attitude to fabric sources.

Howdy & welcome from Texas. Your flying geese quilt is going to be awesome! I'm waiting to see the finished product.

Blog Entries
    looks great so far
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Interesting approach to piecing. Very modern look, are you going to border?

I use to live in Huntington Beach. I have many of the one seam flying geese blocks. They are fast and easy.
    I love my life!

I live in AL now, but hail from Orange County CA. Didn't really get into quilting until I moved here, but have been sewing for 70 years! I love M&L in Cypress/Buena Park area, another I think in Fountain Valley. Wonderful selections and great prices, especially on bolt ends and cuts! Love your flying geese, not familiar with that method, love to learn it!

Power Poster
    Did you make the blue and red item on the top picture?

I'm amazed at how you positioned the center triangle to make perfect use of the fabric. Everything lines up so lovely! I'm anxious to see your finished quilt.

Welcome from So. California!
    Penny

Good for you. Your style, although I realize is your own, reminds me of the Gees Bend style. It seems from both of your posts that you are doing what you enjoy and that is what this journey is all about. We need to remember though not to disparage those that are on their journey too. "To each his own".
    Last edited by pewa88; 04-18-2017 at 11:43 AM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15Cblb8J6i0

Jenny Doan does the one seam flying geese. It originated in England and Ricky Tims demo it when he learned it from English quilters while on a trip there.
    I love my life!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the reminder. One seam FG are on my list as well.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I've used this method numerous times: http://www.fonsandporter.com/article...ew_easy_lesson. Very easy no-waste method.

Those are pretty blocks! Can't wait to see the finished quilt top!

I so glad that this project has so caught on with all of you! I just finished all of the Flying Geese Units completely earlier today. I have a total of:

72 units consisting of (using the above 1st post photos are each represented here):

32 strong Yellows (big flowers)
    4 smaller Yellows (smaller flowers)
    18 Marbled Blue Fabric
    18 Blue/Green Geometric

Finished into 12 large (around 18 inches) Squares

Each Square has 6 geese in the formation of a quasi-Rail Fence pattern with the Black & Silver squares in a checkerboard pattern on it’s own.

The Border in a mimicking blended Black/Silver background, 4 colors using the leftover fabrics not used in the blocks.

Since I only used remnants & bolt ends for all fabrics, I cannot predict right now the exact layout as I have to do much of the placements when I actually sew the physical top with whatever was not used before. Still, I hope this second rather crude computer generated rough draft/sketch will give all of you a better visual guide on how this will probably look when the top is completed late this week or early next week.

Wish me some badly needed luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Did you make the blue and red item on the top picture?
    Yes, it was to test the size of each "goose" in order to prevent accidents or waste.

Quote Originally Posted by linda8450 View Post
    I live in AL now, but hail from Orange County CA. Didn't really get into quilting until I moved here, but have been sewing for 70 years! I love M&L in Cypress/Buena Park area, another I think in Fountain Valley. Wonderful selections and great prices, especially on bolt ends and cuts! Love your flying geese, not familiar with that method, love to learn it!
    Do try it. I was a bit cautious about starting any pattern with bias edges as the edges can stretch out so easily! Not only the simple topstitching on the background fabrics prevents this, the accuracy is far better even with the one directional fabrics I used here. So easy to lay out the images in the right direction as well.

It does sadden me so many former Californians are scattered so far away. I hope the ones that want to return could some day.
    Last edited by Iona D.; 04-18-2017 at 05:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    That is a modern layout. It will look great.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Your blocks look great and you have an interesting story about your quilt life.

Welcome from Wisconsin. Looking forward to seeing finished quilt. Your colors are great.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    This is how I do mine. I've seen the method Jenny showed and similar to another 5 minute block. I just hate the waste when I could use I for another block. You can really get on a roll and make a lot of flying geese quickly. [QUOTE=Patricia Drew;7806830]I've used this method numerous times: http://www.fonsandporter.com/article...ew_easy_lesson. Very easy no

[QUOTE=tessagin;7807127]This is how I do mine. I've seen the method Jenny showed and similar to another 5 minute block. I just hate the waste when I could use I for another block. You can really get on a roll and make a lot of flying geese quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Drew View Post
    I've used this method numerous times: http://www.fonsandporter.com/article...ew_easy_lesson. Very easy no
    So true about getting on a roll and making a lot of flying geese quickly ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast