15 91 Why does needle bend?

Old 04-15-2014, 01:10 PM

Default 15 91 Why does needle bend?

I'm getting very frustrated trying to get my 15 91 to the point where it sews. Two irksome issues I present to you experts from this greenhorn. ( By the way , my respect meter is in the highest range now for you patient, mechanical types.)

Okay, I bought a new needle clamp assembly from Sew Classic because I was missing that tiny little screw that opposes the thumb screw from the left That solved that.

But now...

1. I can't figure out how to attach to the tiny little thread guide nearest the needle clamp. i've looked at diagrams on ISMACS for this 15 91 and still can't zoom in close enough to see where and how it fits.
The lady at Sew Classic said it'd be a bit like walking, chewing gum, patting your head, and turning around all at the same time to put in the thumb screw, other screw, thread guide and still hold it all . She was right but I cannot see exactly where and how the guide attaches in the first place!

2. Deciding to skip the thread guide step, i just attempted to insert a new needle. I loosened the thumb screw, put the needle as far up as it would go (flat side facing left per directions) and then tightened the screw again. Every single time it starts to get tight in there, the needle angles off to the left instead of staying vertical.

I am so frazzled. Please, somebody, can you help ? Thanks so much!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:46 PM

zozee,

Frazzled .... I haven't heard that phrase since my mom passed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]471781[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]471782[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]471783[/ATTACH]

OK, here is three angles of how it looks assembled. I know the screw on the left holds the assembly on the needle bar and the thumb screw just tightens the clamp part that holds the needle.

If you can't get it with these pics I might be convinced to take mine apart for a better description.

Just remember, it ain't brain science or rocket surgery ... it's simple.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails img_5573.jpg   img_5574.jpg   img_5575.jpg  
Old 04-15-2014, 01:48 PM

Ewwwww ... I didn't realize the needle bar is so icky.

I think the thread guide doubles as the needle stop too.

Joe
Old 04-15-2014, 02:47 PM

Thanks, Joe! Those 3 close-up angles should help a lot. I'm fighting a stomach bug right now so won't return to my frazzling device tonight, probably. i appreciate the good camera work .
Old 04-15-2014, 06:29 PM

zozee,

When your sick is not the time to work on a machine. Rest up get better and then do it.

Joe
Old 04-18-2014, 11:55 AM

What size needle are you using? And what is the weight and type of the thread? What number is your upper tension dial on??

It sounds like the thread (most likely the upper thread) is catching on something or has way too much tension on it, and when the dogs try to pull the fabric, the thread doesn't want to let that happen and the needle deflects.