Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finding YLI silk thread in brick and mortar store >

Finding YLI silk thread in brick and mortar store

Finding YLI silk thread in brick and mortar store

Old 04-30-2014, 10:49 AM

Default Finding YLI silk thread in brick and mortar store

Seeing color on line is so iffy hoping to find in real life, thanks!
Old 04-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

can you give us a general geographic area?
The YLI site has this listing:
http://www.ylicorp.com/Where2Buy.aspx
Old 04-30-2014, 11:05 AM

Well..... silk thread is expensive and few people buy it, so I've only seen it in very limited colors and quantities at a few of the local quilt shops in my area.

However. If you are using it for hand applique or something similar, may I suggest you try Superior Thread's Bottom Line instead. I bought an assortment of different colors on prewound bobbins, and it blends and sinks into the fabric as well as silk, at a fraction of the cost. The bobbins came in a handy donut bobbin holder.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]473729[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bottom-line-donut.jpg  
Old 04-30-2014, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Well..... silk thread is expensive and few people buy it, so I've only seen it in very limited colors and quantities at a few of the local quilt shops in my area.

However. If you are using it for hand applique or something similar, may I suggest you try Superior Thread's Bottom Line instead. I bought an assortment of different colors on prewound bobbins, and it blends and sinks into the fabric as well as silk, at a fraction of the cost. The bobbins came in a handy donut bobbin holder.

Thanks for that tip Peckish. I also need some more colors for an applique project. I'll order it today.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Superior has excellent silk thread. With color charts available. http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...nd=Kimono+Silk I have several cones and it machine quilts beautifully.
Connecting Threads has the YLI silk spool set. http://www.connectingthreads.com/thr...__L600904.html I use this for applique.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:41 AM

I have been using and loving The Bottom line for my EPP. I am now moving to appliqué and had heard such great things about YLI, think is is much finer. Maybe I should give TBL a shot first ( love for EPP).
Old 04-30-2014, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post

This what I use also for my EPP and applique. Works so well, only con I have is it is so fine I tend to "lose" it sometimes in my lap. I use an 11 needle with it which is plenty small.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:59 PM

Keepsake Quilting has YLI silk thread (hey, they're brick and mortar for me ). Single 218-yd spools in your choice of five neutral colors for $5.99 each or a collection of seven colors for $35.99-$39.99, depending on collection. YLI silk is 100wt thread. Bottom Line is 60wt.
http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod...L20/Thread.htm
Old 04-30-2014, 01:15 PM

Does anyone know if Superior has an assortment of their silk on prewound bobbins? Because THAT would be awesome!
Old 04-30-2014, 01:15 PM

I do allot of applique and have most of the colors. I bought them when I was new to applique. I seldom use the colors now. I find the neutrals work great. I use YLI 235 the most. I bought YLI from an on-line store with Rock in the name.