Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I make my own degree template/rulers? >

How do I make my own degree template/rulers?

How do I make my own degree template/rulers?

Old 05-03-2014, 05:36 AM

Default How do I make my own degree template/rulers?

I'd really like to make some of the quilts that use the long degree rulers - some of these are the asterisk quilt designs. The degree rulers are pretty expensive on their own. I've read a few blogs where the blogger has made their own ruler/template. I could do that - but how do i get my specific degree shape - like 15* or 9* etc. I'm sure this is a pretty easy answer and one of those I'll go - yeah, that makes sense! Can you help me out with this please?
Thanks !!!
Old 05-03-2014, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

you can just get a protractor from the school supplies section at the store. i had a new dear jane triangle ruler cut at the hardware store. then, to draw the 1/4" seam allowance marks, i used a sharp tool that i've had that engraves security marks/numbers on home products... i think it has a tiny diamond tip. i was pleased with my final product. if you go the route of having the hardware store cut your acrylic, call and ask if they can determine the angle for you... it will save you from trying to be very accurate with the protractor.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:54 AM

I often make my own templates out of Plexiglas. I use a Plexiglas cutter and cut them slightly larger (1/16 inch) so I can sand them perfectly smooth without compromising the desired shape.I use a thin Sharpie to draw my lines.That way I can erase with alcohol and get it as perfect as possible.

Last edited by Grammahunt; 05-03-2014 at 05:55 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 05-03-2014, 06:24 AM

Thanks Nancy - we live rurally and are about an hour or so away from a town large enough to have a hardware store so equipped
GrammaHunt - Thanks for that info
'how' do I get the 'shape/degrees' of the degree ruler? If using a protractor - is the measurement from the center of the circle or is it further out? I remember none of my protractor schooling from decades ago lol....
Thanks again
Old 05-03-2014, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Grammahunt View Post
I often make my own templates out of Plexiglas. I use a Plexiglas cutter and cut them slightly larger (1/16 inch) so I can sand them perfectly smooth without compromising the desired shape.I use a thin Sharpie to draw my lines.That way I can erase with alcohol and get it as perfect as possible.

So there is a plexiglas cutter! Will have to look for it, regular saw just makes a mess.....what do you sand smooth with....by hand or electric sander....am really getting tired of having to buy templates at such high prices! When some are really simple to "make"
Old 05-03-2014, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

You could also cut your template out of cardboard, the old fashioned way. Trace around it and use scissors to cut the fabric.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

You can look on you tube to see how to use a protractor. The problem is going to be how to keep the angle
true on a long cut. Just a small miscalculation at the narrow end is going to result in a large miscut at the long end. An adjustable protractor is going to be your best bet. These are often used for woodworking, so ask around a friend or neighbor may have one. Cut a block using muslin first before using good fabric to 'proof' the angle.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

Broke out the old protractor but I think it will be kind of hard to get it perfect myself. I tried to measure with it straight across the bottom that didn't look right. I put it on the center line and got 18 tiny marks but I don't know if that would help.
Can you tell I didn't do well in math? What's the correct way to use this thing anyway?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by Tartan; 05-03-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:44 AM

The angle measurement is the same at any point on the line. (try this with a regular 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper). With a sharp pencil, draw a 1/4 inch line along the bottom and one side of the paper. I find it is easiest to take a corner of that piece of paper because I know it is a real right angle. So put the center point on the corner of the paper where the two lines you have drawn, intersect.(the 90 degree line should go on the line up the side of the paper) and the horizontal on the line on the bottom of the paper. Now, mark your degree. Take away the protractor, and draw a line from the corner THRU the degree mark and continue as far as you want. That's it. If you don't care about seeing what is under your ruler, you could actually use the paper template as is, and just lay your regular ruler over top to cut.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:45 AM

Okay, saw your last post. You have to take into consideration, that there is a seam line on the degree ruler and none on the protractor. Just try the paper method and mark the same degree as the ruler you have, then compare them.