Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can this quilt be saved? >

Can this quilt be saved?

Can this quilt be saved?

Old 05-06-2014, 05:06 AM

Default Can this quilt be saved?

In my dumber quilting days, I made a queen-sized flannel quilt that turned out terribly heavy. I had also appliquéd a flannel deism on each block, which didn't help. I used Hobbs 80/20 batting, which didn't help. I had satin stitched the appliqués on and now they are separating...not good. I had it professionally machine quilted. My question is, can I take it apart? The computerized quilting is quite nice, but the quilt is just not holding up.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:11 AM

Could we have a picture?
Old 05-06-2014, 05:21 AM

I guess you can take anything apart, the question is do you really want to? Sounds like a lot of work and if you paid to have it quilted..what a waste! The thing to do would be to repair those appliques or just take those off, if they are separating shouldn't be too hard. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

​I wouldn't take the quilting out. Can you hand appliqué larger pieces over the old appliqué. Kind of hard to say without a picture.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:23 AM

I wouldn't take it apart unless I KNOW it would be better. I have repaired more than one quilt in my time & so far the repairs are holding up. If you are going to hand quilt, use heavy thread & beeswax. Find a way to reduce the tensions on the quilt itself OR accept that it has passed its usefulness--not everything is repairable...even tho we love it!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

I can't see taking out a lot of stitches on a queen size quilt. Without a photo, it is difficult to give an opinion. Are your satin stitches coming undone?? Could you hand applique them back down??

I don't know why you are not happy with Hobbs batting. It is much lighter than W&N.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

You say that the quilt is not holding up. Is it 'structurally' sound? Top not fraying. piecing not pulling apart, quilting stitches still holding, back not wearing/tearing?, or are the applique's just coming off/up?
If it is just the appliques, and you satin stitched them, are they pulling away from the satin stitching, or did you just SS around the edges and after use and laundering, the centers have de-fused (assuming that you used fusible!). we can probably give you better advice with a bit more info.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:47 AM

If the fabric is just coming loose from your satin stitching, but the rest of the quilt is still okay, what about just cutting away the applique fabric and letting the satin stitch be kind of an embroidery design on the quilt? This would be an easy fix to keeping it from looking raggedy. (I am assuming, from the way you talk about the quilt, it is not destined to be a family heirloom, but more of a utility quilt.)